USB-Cable - can it make a difference?

orson · 4163

Offline orson

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 03:35:22 AM
Lets get back on track with the initial idea after all warnings.
If you feel an improvement after testing like me I suggest to make a nice cable out of the experiment.
I added an additional braided shielding - I think nowadays with all the WiFi and cellular networks you can´t take care enough of shielding your equipment.
As this shielding should only be connected to the source plugs ground we can happily leave the other plug as it is.
Furthermore I added a textil sleeve.
Don´t forget the shrinking tube before assembling the plug. After soldering the 3 wires (black, white, green) to the plug I recommend to add a layer of hot glue to avoid shortening the pins in any case.
For the length of the cable I read several opinions that suggest 1,5 metres to avoid collisions by reflections in the data-wire. Just google that and decide for yourself. I needed that length anyway.

And last but not least: if anybody tries that mod I would be very interested in your findings - either positive or negative.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:39:49 AM by orson »

Mac with Audirvana | Audio GD Reference 5.32 | Bottlehead Crack | Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:26 AM
You made me laugh with your comment about the shrink tube.  I'm a master of putting RCA plugs on cable, why?  Because I almost always forget to put the cap on before soldering.

Would it be possible to defeat the pin for the 5V supply at the computer end and not have to cut into the cable?

Offline orson

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 04:34:34 AM

Would it be possible to defeat the pin for the 5V supply at the computer end and not have to cut into the cable?

Yep, thats how it is meant to be.
The initial "experimental cut" should be as close as possible at the source (=computers") end of the cable.
For final assembling cut off the source plug at the experimental cut (like shown in the first picture) and put a fresh new USB-plug on.
Or do you mean modding the female plug within the computer? If so: I could imagine applying a very small strip of insulation tape to the pin. But that would not last very long.

Mac with Audirvana | Audio GD Reference 5.32 | Bottlehead Crack | Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 04:39:44 AM
I was thinking of taking the pin from the cable end, at the computer end.  The other end is a mess to work with.

Offline orson

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 05:56:46 AM
Ah, got it.
But I would not try to remove the pin as you cannot see whats going on inside the plug and you could risk shortening other pins.
So: fast and dirty is the tape method (but not reliable nor durable), best is a fresh new plug.