Witch Amplifier To build

microsim · 4613

Offline microsim

• diysmps
on: May 16, 2011, 05:01:47 AM
Hello

I am new to the Tube world! but I would like to build my own Tube amplifier.

I found this forums to be helpful.

How and where and witch, is my questions as I am new to TUBE amplifier.

Witch amplifier is the BEST sounding one, and are they available as kits?

Please I am new, so I will ask alot

Thanks

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:38:07 AM
I'll start with some questions -

What do you plan to run with the amp? Headphones? Speakers? Both?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:52:33 AM
To get to the second questions next:

If speakers, what is the sensitivity, i.e. what is the dBW rating of them?

If headphones, what is the headphone impedance?

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:15:31 AM
"Which amplifier to build"  As Doc stated the first basic question is what do you plan to run with the amp?  Headphones, speakers, or both? 

"Which amplifier is the BEST sounding one, and are they available as kits?"   Since you are asking this question in the Bottlehead forum I will assume you mean the best sounding Bottlehead power amp, all bottlehead gear come as kits, all bottlehead gear sound wonderful, but each amp or preamp/amp combination can sound different.

What type of music source do you plan on using?

What type of environment do you plan on locating your system?

What type of speaker and or what is the sensitivity of your speakers?  Bottlehead amplifiers normally require 90dB or higher sensitive speakers, but there are always expections.

If you are planning to use headphones, what is the impedance of the headphones.?

As you can see there is no easy or finite answer to your basic question, and any answers given must assume to have a little or alot of personel bias.  These are just a few basic questions, and more will be asked bases on your answers.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline microsim

• diysmps
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:33 PM
Hello

I got no notifications! I dont know why!

Answers:

Speakers:-
I will use speakers, at least 93db sensitivity, I will use (LINN) or (PIONEER) or may be (Yamaha)
Dont know yet, but some thing ultra high end.

Music Source:-  CD Player. Good quality one for sure

While most of people here tried many amplifiers, I would like them to suggest me one.
I can separate good sounding amplifiers from each others. But I never came across Tube amplifier, They told me its full of Harmonics!

Environment:- Will be used into my Office with Two Speakers only to Enjoy some music.

I do listen to many kinds of music, As Example Dire Straits, Celine Dione, Jazz, and many more

Hope that helps!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:36:51 AM
First, click on "notify" at the bottom right of the page and see if it offers to activate or deactivate notification.  Could be it is off. 

Then go to "Profile," and "My Profile" on the left of the profile page.  You will see "Notifications And Email" as a choice.  Verify the settings after clicking on that.

.  .  .  

Answers:

I will use speakers, at least 93db sensitivity, I will use (LINN) or (PIONEER) or may be (Yamaha)
Don't know yet, but some thing ultra high end.  .  .  

Environment:- Will be used into my Office with Two Speakers only to Enjoy some music.

I do listen to many kinds of music, As Example Dire Straits, Celine Dione, Jazz, and many more

Hope that helps!

Excellent, even with two more questions from me I can recommend the Paramounts.  At 8WPC you should be able to be extremely happy with the volume level with the speakers you describe.

The two questions are how big is the room, office, you are going to use?  Give width length and height.  Then how loud do you like to listen.  I can quantify that myself because I have an old Radio Shack sound level meter, I listen to the mid 80dB range.  I also like Jazz and Dire Straits.  Just as a reference Love Over Gold sounds great in my room, 14'X24'X8' even at higher than normal levels for me with my 3.5WPC Paramours and 94dBW speakers.

The other possibility is the Stereomour.  It is lower power, same as the Paramours mentioned above, and one chassis instead of two.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:57:34 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Wanderer

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:47:38 AM
I think you will find it hard to get a speaker with 93 dB at one meter with 2.83 volts input in the current Linn, Yamaha or Pioneer line.

..and I know such things are a matter of opinion but I would not view current Yamaha or Pioneer speakers as "ultra high end".

Kevin R-M

Offline rock4016

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:29:09 AM

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:43:19 PM
These are affordable, and are over 95 db.
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/catalogs/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=1

I use Hawthorne Audio and the Stereomour...a match made in heaven. If you want to discuss Hawthorne Audio speakers, just let me know: I can answer most basic questions or get you in touch with those that can.

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline microsim

• diysmps
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:23 AM
First, click on "notify" at the bottom right of the page and see if it offers to activate or deactivate notification.  Could be it is off. 

Then go to "Profile," and "My Profile" on the left of the profile page.  You will see "Notifications And Email" as a choice.  Verify the settings after clicking on that.

.  .  .  

Answers:

Don't know yet, but some thing ultra high end.  .  .  

Hope that helps!

Excellent, even with two more questions from me I can recommend the Paramounts.  At 8WPC you should be able to be extremely happy with the volume level with the speakers you describe.

The two questions are how big is the room, office, you are going to use?  Give width length and height.  Then how loud do you like to listen.  I can quantify that myself because I have an old Radio Shack sound level meter, I listen to the mid 80dB range.  I also like Jazz and Dire Straits.  Just as a reference Love Over Gold sounds great in my room, 14'X24'X8' even at higher than normal levels for me with my 3.5WPC Paramours and 94dBW speakers.

The other possibility is the Stereomour.  It is lower power, same as the Paramours mentioned above, and one chassis instead of two.  

That looks good.

Where I can find that Paramounts

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:59:29 AM
Soooo... now you need the secret handshake.

Click on the Bottlehead badge in the upper left of every page.  It takes you to the index page.  The top selection is "Products" which takes to the page with a list of the products, kits and parts, Bottlehead makes.  95% of the products are kits 5% are custom hand made by Bottlehead.

Or you can click on this link which will take you directly to the Paramount:

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=434&action=show_detail

Offline John Roman

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:37:13 AM
The Bottlehead kits are so well thought out they are a pleasure to build. Also as important is the enthusiastic respond you get from all members. Especially the more experienced of the group. Essentially there is no poor question, if you want to know more about even the most minute detail this group will respond with suggestions and photos that will help tremendously. The topic can vary widely, as the Bottlehead community has grown more and more knowledgeable folks have added greatly to the pool. I suspect you've already noticed this to some degree. I have a pair of Paramount's running 300B's, an Extended Foreplay 3 and have recently added a Crack headphone amp with the Speedball addition. I've been a member for over 10 years, if I recall correctly, and check in daily.  What you will build is in my view the best value for your hard earned doe and technically many times the greater of comparably priced valve based equipment. And that I will say is a great understatement. So many retail products today offer more eye appeal than actual value. You've seen the astronomical prices some manufacturers command. Can a single ended 300 B amp really be worth north of $20K? The sky's the limit really. That's not to say that, although expensive some products may not be worth what they're asking. Alas, in my world I have to be more practical when it comes to money. But that does not mean I have to "settle" for less sonically. And this is most certainly where Bottlehead shines. Perhaps I've run on here but I believe what ever kit you select you will not only be satisfied but you may also discover a life long hobby. Welcome aboard!
Best regards, John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:52 AM
Just to chime in, I don't know what you are looking to spend, but if you can afford the 300B kit, I say go for it.   I couldn't and instead select the Stereomour which represents one of the very best values per dollar spent.  The sound quality is phenomenal while remaining highly affordable.  You can spend your extra money on speakers, fancy caps, and tube rolling!  I hope you can build the Paramount, however, as I believe you will enjoy it very much.

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!