San Diego Bottleheads: Willing to demo Blumenstein Orcas?

dth31 · 1842

Offline dth31

We've recently moved to a condo, and my Altec Model 19s are just too big for the room I'm forced to put them in.  From what I've read on the Forum, the Blumenstein Orcas will work well in a smallish room with BH Paramounts or Stereomour with 2A3 tubes (one of which I intend to buy/build soon--or maybe the SR45 if that becomes a product).  However, I don't want to buy Orcas without listening to them first.

If there are any Orca owners in the San Diego area (I live in Solana Beach) who are willing to demo their Orcas, I would be MOST grateful.

Dave
(dth31)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:33:36 AM
    .  .  .    We've recently moved to a condo, and my Altec Model 19s are just too big    .   .   .   .   .     

At this point I started to laugh.  I had Paully's Valencias in my listening room (13'X23') for a few days.  They ate up all walking room.

I see your problem, I wish I could help.  How about a quick flight to Knoxville and I'll be happy to demonstrate.  (insert the tongue-in-cheek smiley face here).  I would help if I could.

I'll bet there is an Orca owner nearer who will help you out, it is a very friendly community.

Offline dth31

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:38 AM
And your reply made me laugh!  Paully has been kind enough to share with me his experience listening to his Valencias and your Orcas.  Because he's an "Altec guy", as I have been, I was curious to see what he thought of the Orcas.  His strong endorsement of the Orcas is one reason I've decided to get serious about them.

Dave

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:57:07 AM
(I live in Solana Beach)

Off Topic Response - I love Pizza Port (Port Brewing). The Solana Beach location being my favorite. Too bad I live in Albuquerque.  ;)

Offline BNAL

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:12:15 AM
Dave,

I have Ocras and live in the area. Drop me a line and we can see about getting together.

Brad

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline dth31

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:06:06 AM
Thanks for the offer, Brad!  Sent you a PM.

Dave

Offline Paully

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:17:35 AM
I would think you will like them.  If not, there is always a headphone kit or two you could do that would fit your room better!  :)

Offline dth31

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:33:52 AM
We think alike!  I recently built a Mainline, which I'm using with NAD Viso HP50 headphones.  I had intended for that system to completely replace the Altecs.  But  I enjoyed the Mainline build so much that I decided to try and keep some smaller speakers too that I could use with BH amps.

Dave

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:07:13 PM
We think alike!  I recently built a Mainline, which I'm using with NAD Viso HP50 headphones.  I had intended for that system to completely replace the Altecs.  But  I enjoyed the Mainline build so much that I decided to try and keep some smaller speakers too that I could use with BH amps.

Dave

In that case a Stereomour and Orcas should fit your requirements nicely.

Offline BNAL

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:33 PM
Dave,

I'm running the Orcas with 2A3 Paramounts and yesterday I just changed my tubes to the JJ 2A3-40s.

Brad

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline dth31

Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:16:41 PM
I'm excited to be able to hear the Orcas and Paramounts with 2A3s.  Really appreciate your willingness to demo them for me!

Got your number and will call you when I get back in town.

Dave

Offline dth31

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:19:14 PM
Natural Sound:  give me a ring next time you're in town--I'll buy at Pizza Port!  We're only a block away.

Dave

Offline thdewitt

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 01:24:12 PM
I know this is an old topic, but I live in Encinitas and have the Orcas, Dungeness and Stereomour.  Love to meet up with some of you sometime.  Pizza port would always be fun.

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo