Rodrigo y Gabriela - dang

elcraigo · 10593

Offline Grainger49

Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 05:20:39 AM
There is next to nothing on the cover but I found an insert!

Ok, some credits:

Produced by Peter Asher (Peter of Peter and Gordon, yes I have a couple of their LPs)
Recorded in Paris, Cuba and Mexico
Mixed at After Hours Studios, LA
Mastered at RR Productions Wyoming/Michigan

No mention of digital or analog anywhere.

Desmond, It doesn't look good.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:03:28 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 11:26:44 AM
Received today and on the turntable, Rodrigo y Gabriella's self titled LP.  That is the one with the lizard eye on the cover.  It looks so much more creepy on an LP than the CD.  This is the first LP of R y G that I heard at Jay's house.  I might get time to compare the two tomorrow.  (I'm driving 4 hours for service on my S2000 Thursday back Friday)

I would really like to hear these two in the Bijou here.  It is small and you feel really close to the performers.  Since Elcraigo is moving here he gets to check it out too.

Edit: Update, there will be ribeyes on the Big Green Egg Saturday as the OP Craig, Elcraigo, and I grill, listen and drink Bourbon.  Reports after the headaches are gone.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:25:46 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline sl-15

Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:26 PM
found this npr youtube channel and there is some really amazing music on there and lots of it. some clips have pretty high resolution but all are well  recorded in my opinion. worth checking out:

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Bill Chase

Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 08:24:15 PM
These guys are awesome! How have I been missing this thread for 6 months?!  Thanks for the recent posts that saved me-- I love it!

I like the You-tube comment, "I have to take my guitar out of the room so it won't hear what it's actually capable of"....

Bill Chase
Digital music collection enjoyed thru:
   Mac Mini to Jolida Glass DSD DAC
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   DecWare Ultra Preamp w 5x Paramount 300Bs with Magnequest Iron
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1
Guitars and Ukulele enjoyed by Tode

Offline Grainger49

Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:17 AM
Bill, interesting, I pulled my classical guitar out of the listening room some months ago.  Maybe I had the same subliminal thought.

Today I'm listening to the R y G Live In Paris CD.  Since I got the Orcas CDs have been much more satisfying than before.  I'm going to go to the R y G self titled LP in a few minutes. 

DAMN ! ! ! 

I may never pluck my guitar again.  I feel so unworthy!

I think the soundstage may be even deeper than I thought before.  Psycho-acoustics (and I'm a Psycho) being what they are, I hear many things at the front edge of the shelf units I have my stereo in.  But to the left of the cabinets the image of one of the guitars (I don't know who is where {I'm guessing it is Rodrigo}) seems to be almost back to the "front" wall.  Front and rear walls are terms that often confuse me.

Offline Chris

Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 12:58:08 PM
Speaking of the paris cd... the REAL star is Al... WOW!!!!!! is he incredible...Ever since i heard Elegant Gypsy many years back, i have always been amazed at his technical ability.. I will bet it does sound incredible on the orcas...

Offline xcortes

Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:58 PM
I was spanked by Grainger for not posting on this thread. I don't know what it's about but I promise to read through it and coment... soon.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Grainger49

Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:27 PM
Xavier,

I thought you knew the artists and I was asking if you were not impressed with their talent.

Check the OP and click on the link.

I had assumed you perused it early on and didn't respond for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:56:06 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline xcortes

Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 03:11:58 PM
I will!

Xavier Cortes

Offline calder0n

Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 09:04:54 AM
I saw them at Radio City Music Hall last year.. amazing show..