Garfield's Crack - Build Log

Joe Garfield · 830

Offline Joe Garfield

on: August 03, 2020, 04:39:11 PM
I'm about to finish building my first Crack so maybe it's a good time to start my build log. After 3 short albums I'm up to installing the capacitors.

First question: I installed all 4 rectifiers on the same side of the terminal strip. Is that OK? The manual shows them on opposite sides. If if didn't mention having them aligned a certain way (back to back) I wouldn't think anything of it, but now I'm not so sure.

Thank you.

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:52:11 AM
Well everything tested nominal and the amp sounds amazing! I  didn’t realize how much more quiet background could be, and what happens when it gets that quiet (like hearing room decay, etc.) The HD650s now have so much bass, like totally different headphones!

I’m glad I chose to wait to do speedball. I want to enjoy the high and wait til my heart rate settles a little, lol.

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:50:05 AM
I tend not to recommend deviating from the manual if at all possible.  With those diodes in particular, you have to be careful about what can touch what so your amp doesn't turn into a fuse blower.  It sounds like you got it working, but do keep in mind that the Speedball is a bit less forgiving in that area.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 07:01:44 PM
Thanks Paul. When I install Speedball (or capacitors) I'll clean it up. It seems 'ok' for now :)

This is by far the most wonderful sound experience I've ever had. Last night I listened to a bunch of music I'd normally just skip over, so I could 'hear things.' I could have sworn my head was inside acoustic guitars, my ears being tickled (licked?) by beautiful Polynesian women... I even listened to a Taylor Swift song not expecting much, but boy was I wrong! What used to sound like a generic chorus effect turned into Taylor and 3 perfect clones singing perfectly just a couple miliseconds apart. I could actually hear the delay, along with a whole host of instruments and sounds I never knew were in that song.

So I'm in no hurry to change anything =)

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650