HD600 + Crack + HRT Music Streamer II

lior.amsalem · 7774

Offline lior.amsalem

on: October 24, 2011, 10:42:50 AM
Hi all,
New around here and want to build up my headphones system.
I'll start with this: I'm a noob to all audio related stuff.
I own HD600 headphones (hd650 cable) right now connected directly to my mac mini.
I want to upgrade my build.
I'm starting to collect and rerip my CDs and music with better Apple lossless format.
I listening to an extensive variety of music genres: rock, grunge, pop, r&b, chill out, 80's and more.
Anyway, you got the point I don't have a specific genre.

So, what I'm asking here?
1. Will this combination: HD600 + Crack + HRT Music Streamer II will improve my current setup? Will I be able to hear the difference?
2. Will I be able to connect the HRT to the Crack and it will work? Do I need something more? Am I missing something? What is a preamp and do I need one?
3. Do you think I should get the speed ball upgrade right away? or it can wait?

Thanks in advance,
Lior

Offline magnafuzz

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:17:28 PM
The Crack was my first venture into the world of headphone amps as well.

I had my headphones plugged into a receiver while i was deciding on which amp to buy. Honestly, at the time, i thought they sounded ok with the receiver, better than my old headphones anyways. The Crack is much, much better and i havent even started upgrading yet. Absolutely no regrets here.

From reading around, the speedball seems to be a really worthwhile upgrade. For myself i plan to stick with the stock build for a while and get used to it first.

I think it sounds really good with the HD650s and you will hear a difference when you make the change.

Andrew T

Seduction
Crack with speedball

Offline Armaegis

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:00 PM
The Senn + Crack is a wonderful combination, and you should indeed be able to hear a difference. I also thought the Speedball was a worthwhile upgrade.

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:03:37 AM
Hi all,
New around here and want to build up my headphones system.
I'll start with this: I'm a noob to all audio related stuff.
I own HD600 headphones (hd650 cable) right now connected directly to my mac mini.
I want to upgrade my build.
I'm starting to collect and rerip my CDs and music with better Apple lossless format.
I listening to an extensive variety of music genres: rock, grunge, pop, r&b, chill out, 80's and more.
Anyway, you got the point I don't have a specific genre.

So, what I'm asking here?
1. Will this combination: HD600 + Crack + HRT Music Streamer II will improve my current setup? Will I be able to hear the difference?
2. Will I be able to connect the HRT to the Crack and it will work? Do I need something more? Am I missing something? What is a preamp and do I need one?
3. Do you think I should get the speed ball upgrade right away? or it can wait?

Thanks in advance,
Lior

Lior,

I'm building a Crack to play with a similar system.  However, I have spent some time with my Mac Mini and DAC (Beresford) and have a couple of comments. 

First, I have found that AIFF sounds better than Apple Lossless which, in turn, sounds better than MP3.  Basically, AIFF is an uncompressed lossless, Apple Lossless is a compressed lossless, and MP3 is a compressed lossy format.  Perhaps not enough to worry about for now but eventually you may want to use AIFF. 

Second, use a USB to the Mac Mini and then RCAs to the Crack and you are ready to go!  Very simple and no extra components needed.

Third, I bought the Speedball for my build.

Have fun and post your impressions, please!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 03:05:33 PM
Lior,

Despite what my signature say (my crack isn't done yet and I now use a mac mini) the HRT MS II (I have the Plus version) and the HD-600s are a very good match, and as John just told you, just need a usb cable and a pair of interconnects and you're ready to go -- the crack has a volume control, so no need for a preamp with this setup.

The upgrade to the HD-650 cable is a good one too.  One of the things that will make a very significant difference is the software -- almost anything is better than iTunes by itself -- PureMusic, Amarra, Decibbel, and audirvana should all be considered (at different price and performance points) but all are a substantial improvement over iTunes alone.  Also consider storing your music files on an external firewire drive, such as the Oyen Mini-Pro 800 for another nice improvement.

Then if you really want to take things up another several notches, consider the exter nal usb power supplies that some companies are offering -- this works very well on the HRT dacs as it supplies the dac with even cleaner power than the computer can.

I know some are skeptical about this and it doesn't work on every dac/music server combination, but with the HRT it works very very well.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline lior.amsalem

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:47 AM
Hi John, Jim, Armaegis and magnafuzz,
Thanks for the help and info.
I've placed my order for a Crack + SB upgrade.
Probably I'll start with the Crack alone and then do the upgrade.
I'll get all of your recommendations and I'll start looking at a better sound player, convert to AIFF (I got a 4.5TB NAS at home so storage is not an issue) and USB Hub down the road.

Looking forward to get my kit and start building it.

Again, Thanks all.

Lior

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:18:52 AM
Lior,

Sounds like you've got a plan and you're going to have a blast with this setup.  Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:46 PM
Lior,

I have now purchased a set of HD 600s and an HRT MS2+ DAC to go with my Crack...it seems we will be running the same system! 

Let us know how you are doing with your setup as you wish....

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline lior.amsalem

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 05:29:58 AM
Hi John,
Great to hear that!
Looking forward to get your impressions with the new setup! Are you on Mac? try bitperfect, makes life easier with iTunes and even sound a bit better.
I'm still waiting for my Crack ;)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:45:16 AM by lior.amsalem »

Offline mrsidespin

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:03:32 PM
 HD600 + Crack + HRT Music Streamer II

Is there anything out there that provides better value? Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything half as much money but still providing 90 some percent of performance.  The author of the thread still enjoying this setup?

Offline Evan

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 03:34:42 PM
I am not the original poster, but I have the exact same system of Mac Mini -> MS II -> Crack -> HD 600 and I am extremely pleased with the results. I have the Speedball upgrade installed, but if the budget is tight you can absolutely be happy without. I think the price/performance value of this setup is extremely high.

Stereomour => SEOS Fusion 12 Tempest

Crack => Senn HD600