SR45 amplifier

debk · 104316

Offline debk

Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 01:05:51 PM
I also have purchased the A pair of PT-2's, and would be happy to buy the revised kit if it becomes avaiable.

I hope I did nothing wrong by posting the link to the manual earlier. I was just posting a link to a post that was already available on this forum.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 04:23:01 PM
Deb, Xavier, in fact the posters on this thread, you are all A-OK in my book. The link issue has been a grey area, it's not linked from the site but not protected either. So far it hasn't been a problem. I'll consult with Doc B on future plans, perhaps the revised circuit on request with a transformer or C4S. I really didn't want to bring it up but I also don't want the circuit to show up on non-Bottlehead forums.

Paul Joppa

Offline debk

Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 05:27:39 PM
I totally understand, and would never consider discussing the circuit outside of the bottlehead forum.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:41 PM
For the record, I bought the original kit. Just looking to tweak and improve...John

John S.

Offline braubeat

Reply #64 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:33 PM
Paul,

I have total respect for your design abilities and expertise. I have gotten a priceless education following the discussions on this forum over the years. I think Bottlehead products are extremely high quality and reasonably priced. The last thing I want to do is step on anybody's toes.     
     So I want to make sure it's cool if I purchase the soft start boards and use them to build a 71-a amp.

Michael

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #65 on: July 14, 2012, 06:02:39 PM
Paul,

I have total respect for your design abilities and expertise. I have gotten a priceless education following the discussions on this forum over the years. I think Bottlehead products are extremely high quality and reasonably priced. The last thing I want to do is step on anybody's toes.     
     So I want to make sure it's cool if I purchase the soft start boards and use them to build a 71-a amp.

Michael
No problem there!

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 05:18:31 AM
I have the odious position of making decisions about this stuff, and for now I have removed the PDF until we determine how to proceed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #67 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:58 PM
OK pals. We have to keep this thread moving even if its only those of us who paid for the original kit and, in consequence, have access to the schematic (just like any other BH product).

I have two comments/questions: First, one of the things that originally discouraged me of using my TL404s in this project was that the OPs were optimized for a 3k load. Having said that I think that there's voltage headroom to increase the regulated voltage a little bit to 350 volts and then operate the 45 at "classic" 275/-56/36mA conditions. Moreover this would reduce the power dissipation needs of the heat sink. I realize there may not be enough B+ at low mains voltage conditions but in my case: A) I have a perennial ultrahigh mains voltage and b) I use power plant conditioner so I always have 119v at my BH gear ;)

Second, why can't one just substitute the plate choke with a C4S as Michael was suggesting? a 36mA C4S with a 20v voltage drop would only be dissipating a quarter of a watt.

Saludos

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #68 on: July 18, 2012, 04:07:42 PM
Paul can answer this much better than I can, but no it doesn

John S.

Offline xcortes

Reply #69 on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:43 PM
Hi John,

Actually I'm not proposing to increase the current, the classic op and the SR45 one share the 36mA current.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 06:16:53 PM
Xavier, a plate load dropping 20v would allow about 10vRMS swing, allowing 6v minimum compliance. That's about 0.020 watts in a 5K load ... That said, I do have some plans for a C4S loaded 45 using the Paramount power transformer; the problem is finding a reliable current source device at such high voltages. It's on my list.  :^)

You can drop the plate current for a 5K load; I'd go with 30mA at 250-275v. It leaves more current for the shunt reg which is a little starved due to the PT-2 limitations. (That's another reason I want to switch to the PT-7 eventually.)

For those who bought PT-2s with the intention of resurrecting this 5-yr-old design, I'll see if we can send a paper copy of the original notes. For those who want a replacement for the original C4S board, which is no longer available, I recommend the Paramount soft-start kit and I'll throw in a paper copy of the modified circuit diagram showing the connections to that board. That should bring the project to about the level it was originally - it was never a real kit with a real manual, after all!

Paul Joppa

Offline debk

Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:17 PM
Will the Paramount soft start boards be an upgrade from the original boards?
I was able to get an original unbuilt SR45 upgrade kit from 2007

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 04:53:38 AM
For this application, the difference with the new boards is insignificant. The differences are 1) a different heat sink (I believe the capacitor is about the same), and 2) there is a trimmer to adjust the driver bias; the older board just has a resistor (the driver is cap-coupled so there is no special need to trim the voltages exactly)

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 05:36:45 AM
Oh good -- that saves me a bit of money then.

Somewhat related -- would you recommend the paramount 1.1 softstart boards and 5670 driver for use in the paramour IIs I also want to scratch build?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 05:47:13 AM
@Jim, yes I would recommend the paramount 1.1 softstart boards and 5670 driver for use in the paramour II. There are no instructions specific to the Paramour, since it's been out of production for a while now, but it should not be that difficult to figure it out.

I also mention that, because the driver bias is adjustable, you can probably use other tubes such as 12AU7 or 6SN7 if you need less gain.

Paul Joppa