Zu Audio

Natural Sound · 8007

Offline Natural Sound

on: December 24, 2010, 07:23:07 AM
First a little background.

My first Bottlehead experience stated with my putting together a Single Ended eXperimenters kit. Lets just say that I was hooked from that point. I used the amp for about a year with my beloved Sennheiser HD-600 headphones. I made several mods, mainly upgraded caps and such. When the Enhanced SEX upgrade came along I dropped that in as well.

I wanted to move beyond headphones and decided to build a pair of SEXy speakers. They worked very nicely with the 6DN7 SEX amp. Not being one to leave well enough alone I wanted something different. So I bought a FPIII and a set of Paramour II monoblocks. This is the system that I listen to today with my SEXy speakers. I

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:23:09 AM
I have heard a number of Zu speakers here in Knoxville.  I know a couple of guys who own them too.

Very clean.  Tighter bass than I am used to for that efficiency.  You should find somewhere to listen to them before buying even with the 60 day return policy.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:27:44 AM
The Audio Asylum high-efficiency forum has quite an extensive amount of opinion on Zu:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/bbs.html

Search for Zu and you'll be overwhelmed!

They are kind of controversial - in the early days their specifications and measured responses were pretty wild, leading to the usual arguments between specs and hearing. (Much like Lowthers, which measure terrible but have passionate adherents.) I believe most or all of their designs are large fullrange drivers with augmentation in the high treble. I am under the impression that Zu's specs and measurements are more conventional these days - but I have rarely heard them and never measured them.

Alternatives to single drivers (augmented or not in the bass or treble) are mostly systems with horn tweeters. Classics like Altec or Klipsch, and modern versions such as the Pi Speakers line, are popular with SETs. Cone-and-dome formats of high efficiency are few and far between.

I would strongly suggest listening to a variety of types, as much as you can. You seem to have explored the fullrange/widerange options fairly well so far, so trying out a few horn types would be in order. Every format has its pluses and minuses, so it's worth an effort to find which set of compromises fits your needs best.

Paul Joppa

Offline ssssly

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 05:04:41 PM
Have been intrigued by these for a while. Unfortunately there is no place to audition or buy them in Japan. Most of the professional reviewers seem to like them despite their measurements. They also make what is supposed to be an amazing hot rodded Denon dl-103 cartridge. Been eyeing the cart for a while. Once I get my SUT setup worked out for my eros might pick myself up one.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 08:15:09 PM
FWIW I had a Zu103R for a while and sold it.  IMO the 103R with ebony body was a better sounding cart to my ears and with the table and system at the time; Thorens TD 124,Thomas Schick arm, Lundahl step-up, McIntosh C22 preamp. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:26:19 AM
I am not bashing Zu, far from it.  I listened to a pair and there was no way I could have lived with those speakers long term.  But the guy who owned them couldn't wipe the smile off his face and had been listening to them for quite some time.  And the guy knew audio.  Same thing with Cain and Cain Abby's.  Not my cup of tea.  Point isn't what I think, you have to listen or buy used so you can resell cheaply if you don't have a lot of opportunities to listen up front.  Unless you're rich.  I always say post where you are.  Post here, high effeciency forum, Klipsch forum (those guys are really nice), Lansing Heritage.  Search for dealers in a 200 mile radius or so.  The drive is cheaper than a mistake.  Is there an audio club in your town?  Speakers, and especially High Effeciency, have enough of their own quirks that if you can listen before you buy, you should.  I bought Altecs without being able to hear them and am incredibly happy.  But those were used and for the price I got them my risk was minimal.  Just some thoughts.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:34 PM
I guess I'll keep looking. The problem is that there are no high end audio shops in my area that carry efficient speakers.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 03:14:26 PM
I guess I'll keep looking. The problem is that there are no high end audio shops in my area that carry efficient speakers.
Got any vintage/used audio shops? They often have old Klipsch and the like.

Paul Joppa

Offline Steve_in_NV

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:42:46 PM
This is what I bought a few months ago. http://www.thehornshoppe.com/ the price is reasonable and with efficiency around 98-100 db plenty of power.  Currently I'm using 2A3 tubes in a Paramount.  Don't let the small size determine (size isn't everything) I also purchased the bass augmenter because I didn't want to put horns in corner.  Boy was I ever wrong I moved the speakers about 7 inchs from back wall and my listening room filled with music it was rather amazing so much sound from such a little cabinet.  They are still breaking in and getting better every session.  I would buy again.  Ed the owner is always ready to help, he even called me!  I added a pair of Fostex T90 super tweeters for a little more high frequency response.  One final note if you want beautiful had rubbed finish don't buy these, I didn't buy for that I bought for sound and am pleased.  Made in the good old USofA. by rednecks.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 12:57:28 PM
This is what I bought a few months ago. http://www.thehornshoppe.com/ the price is reasonable and with efficiency around 98-100 db plenty of power.  Currently I'm using 2A3 tubes in a Paramount.  Don't let the small size determine (size isn't everything) I also purchased the bass augmenter because I didn't want to put horns in corner.  Boy was I ever wrong I moved the speakers about 7 inchs from back wall and my listening room filled with music it was rather amazing so much sound from such a little cabinet.  They are still breaking in and getting better every session.  I would buy again.  Ed the owner is always ready to help, he even called me!  I added a pair of Fostex T90 super tweeters for a little more high frequency response.  One final note if you want beautiful had rubbed finish don't buy these, I didn't buy for that I bought for sound and am pleased.  Made in the good old USofA. by rednecks.

My setup wont allow me to corner load speakers. Honestly, I'm ready to give up. I'm thinking about going to sand amps so I can use whatever speakers I want. I'll still use my Bottlehead SEX and Crack with headphones for my SET fix. Life is too short and I'm wasting WAY too much time on my current journey. I think Its time to adjust my course. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:20:43 PM
There are a lot of sensitive speakers out there.  Not all horns or Fostex drivers.  I use Triangle Zerius speakers. They are 94dBW sensitive and are more than loud enough in a 14'X23'X8' room with my Paramour 3.5WPC amps.

Offline howardnair

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 08:06:30 PM
a friend wants me to bring over my stereomour to pair up with his zu speakers-he is very interested in a single ended amp and bottlehead to be exact-so i will report back after this weekend-on a stereomour with some zu soul superfly speakers-i live on nantucket island there exactly 2 people on nantucket that seem to care about their sound system-that is with a year round population of 10 thousand--its lonely out here

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 02:52:06 AM
I think you both will be surprised at the pairing.  I have heard Zu at another Bottlehead's house.  I can't remember if they were on Bottlehead amps.  But I know their sensitivity will do well together.

You should move to Knoxville; there is a huge tube crowd here for the population.

Offline Paully

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 03:10:13 PM
"Life is too short and I'm wasting WAY too much time on my current journey. I think Its time to adjust my course."

Broadening your options as a way to save time, I am not sure I agree with the direction you are getting ready to go.  You still have to listen tpo what you want to buy, espeically new.  Maybe a little easier to show up and find a place to listen to some Vandersteens I suppose.  Save yourself some time and heartache then, buy some used Klipsch Chorus II, Cornwalls or some Altecs and be done with it.