if i love the quickie....

guf · 2358

Offline guf

on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:25 PM
will i REALLY love the beepre? I have an all digital front end and d class amps. i've been listening to the quickie all day and really enjoying it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:34:31 PM
Having access to both, yes, you would love the BeePre.  Finding something inbetween the prices of the BeePre and the Quickie that performs better than the Quickie could be a bit challenging. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:53:51 PM
What speakers are you using? I'd first replace the amps with BH amps if the speakers allow.

Don't take me wrong. The BP is the best amp out there. But i'd rather use a Quickie and Paramounts than a bp and class D amps.

Xavier Cortes

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:03:40 PM
will i REALLY love the beepre? I have an all digital front end and d class amps. i've been listening to the quickie all day and really enjoying it.

My adage is, "if its not broken dont fix it"! Once you get 'tired' of your sound, then think about how you want to improve it. That may mean going from the Q to the beepree, OR something else. Many things to "fix" in ones system.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline guf

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:33:17 PM
What speakers are you using? I'd first replace the amps with BH amps if the speakers allow.

Don't take me wrong. The BP is the best amp out there. But i'd rather use a Quickie and Paramounts than a bp and class D amps.

amps are wyred 4 sound sx1000,  speakers are salk ss8's (87 sensitivity). I have been using the system for 8 months using my wyred 4 sound dac2 as my pre. so i dont even need a preamp but thought it would be fun to change it around a little. I also have a desktop system with SEX and orcas and i have a crack in that system.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:25:33 AM
Thats some nice kit you have there! - I would be interested to hear how the Wrd DAC2 sound on its own, compared to when the Q is in the circuit? - Another note - dont forget that the Q is a modders dream. Its sound improves SIGNIFICANTLY with mods!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:45:48 AM
Nice speakers you have, no need to change those.. my 2 cents is IF you like the quickie then go with the big kahuna... the beepre has to be one of the finest preamps on the market.. Then with THAT in the chain as a "constant" reference, then you can evaluate and play around with amplification later.. You need some constants to build a system around. So, IF you love your speakers and they arent going anywhere, and you have a reference class preamp like the BeePre.. You can build from there...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:43:06 PM by Chris »

Offline guf

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:07:20 PM
Yeah i've been really happy with everything so far. I added the quickie because i love my desktop orcas + sex: really fun and engaging. I often play my desktop for people because it surprising how amazing it sounds.  My main system sounds amazing but i wouldn't call it fun. I spent a ton of money comparatively on my "reference" system so it should sound amazing. Adding the quickie, then the quickie with the pjccs did bring an element of fun into the sound. I listen to a lot of live music,  and it sounded more live. I know everyone says that.  My room is well treated and my only source is digital some touch of tube coloration was welcome. My theory was to try and keep it simple so adding another component i don't need it seemed unnecessary. If a little is good ( quickie) then add more (beepre) must be better.... yeah i'm into modding it for sure and get the best i can out of it. And/Or I agree that the beepre could be a nice "constant" to go along with the speakers.

thanks!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:38:03 PM
I have been thinking about your decision... Here's my take.. If I had the Q and the beepre available when I first bought the Q, I would have bought both, then modded the beepre. Put the bucks into that. The 300b is a nice tube to base your obsession on! - With that said. If you drop about $400 in the Q it becomes a much different beast! You do have clean battery power from the get go. Right now, my entire front end is battery. From the laptop to the USB/SPIDF then the DAC, then the Q.

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:14 PM
I forgot to comment on the "fun" part. Thats a good word to express what the tubes due. IMO the triode...

Eric