Fostex FE163En-S and thoughts on boxes for them

Clark B. · 10745

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
on: March 10, 2012, 09:32:34 AM
Hi all, I've got my roots in DIY speaker making so I just had to share this with the community...

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-fullrange/fostex-fe163en-s-special-full-range-6-each/

I personally have a pair of FE166ES-R that are extremely well broken in after ~ 7 years.  They have been a driver that I've kept going back to time and again.  I feel pretty lucky to have them as my shop stereo with a SEX amp... gotta be able to concentrate on your work, you know ;)

I got the FE166ES-R from Terry Cain's urgings to buy a set of 'em, even though he'd never heard them.  He just said: build a junky box for them (and upgrade that later) and get a pair 'o paramours to go with em and that then I'd "crap my pants."  It took me a few years to put that entire system put together but MAN AM I GLAD I BOUGHT THOSE DRIVERS WHILE I COULD!  They are pretty unbeatable bang for the buck for a high efficiency larger diameter fullranger.  I've had mine in IM-Bens, BIBs, Sealed boxes with subs, open baffle, and back loaded horn.  My favorite so far has been the large bass reflex boxes I built for them, that I've now called the "Beulahs."  Stuck some stock FE166En's in another pair of Beulahs for a friend.  Those turned out really well also.  Then the climbing gym he works at placed an order for a few pairs of them.  So I decided to make it a low production numbers, semi custom product.

The Beulahs are a really simple concept so while I'll mention that I do make and sell them, I also recommend to those of you who have the tools or have a friend that does, just try out the concept of a simple ported box for them, one that gives you a little wiggle room to keep messing with the internals, and of sufficient initial internal volume that they won't sound small.  It's the basis of the Abby's design, Its the basis of the Feastrex recommended cabinet design.  There must be something going on here...and I can tell you precisely what it is from first hand experience - Lots of fine tuning!

But anyways, whatever your slant or capability is with cabineting/open baffling them, these are probably going to be some great drivers if you are in the market (I haven't heard 'em yet but hope to get a pair soon).  You can put 'em in a SEXy, put 'em in an old set of Abby's too. 

You could even go for an eNabling treatment of them. They'd probably be worth it!

I've also heard the previous (ca. 2002) special edition 6", the old style cone (made in Japan) sigma from 10+ years ago, owned the newer (but getting dated) FE168EZ, owned several FE166E, FE166En, and the FE166ES-R.

The FE166ES-R and the earlier ca 2002 special edition were the best of the bunch (of the 6"ers).  That would lead one (such as myself) to believe that the new special 6" should be pretty solid.

Lots of ideas, lots of directions for a curious mind to go with them.

Anyways, if you are a local and you are getting a set, please contact me.  I'll supply the beer and satsumas if you bring a set by for us to listen to.

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:50:04 AM
hey clark,  where is local??  don

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:51:32 AM
I've been using a pair of 166 E's in a pair of back-loaded horns for a few years now.  I've used them with some old SS gear as well as Paramours and SEX amps.  I just love 'em.  

Now and then I think about trying something else but my project time/money/interest always end up somewhere else.  I think this is my way of telling myself to not change a good thing.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:34:42 AM
hey clark,  where is local??  don

In Seattle. 

And also-  Porcupunctis, I totally feel you on the "not changing a good thing" thing with the 6"ers in a BLH. 

Offline mp9

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24:59 PM
I think Klang+Tong did a review in either the 1/2012 or 3/2012 issue.

Re: boxes, i was surprised to see the Fostex recommended box plan call for 15mm panels, quite a departure from the doubled up 18mm(x2) walls of previous (166es-r) Fostex BLH designs. Any idea what Fostex is trying to achieve by designing the thinner wall for the current BLH build?

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:41 PM
Well, I can tell you that in my own Orca design I use 1/2 (12mm) plywood for the construction - and also for the subwoofer.  I tried 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, 15mm, 18mm for the box construction, without regard to price.  12mm seemed to have the best overall balance for the drivers I am using. 

There really is a notion of balance at hand here though.  Sweeping a grossly simple explaination over the matter - considering the potential depth and breadth of the topic, Thick material seems to work well with drivers that are a little less "well behaved," thinner is ok (but must be well executed) for drivers that are more "calm."  So much, however is a matter of taste and individual system optimization. 

Also, within a company like Fostex, you may have simply a passing of the torch to a younger designer that is less along the lines of the "old school" of using thick heavily braced material in all circumstances.

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline mp9

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:58 PM
I have the 166Es-R in Woden Speaker Design Victor http://www.wodendesign.com/Victor.html If the 163En-S doesn't sell out any time soon i may get a pair to swap out with the 166Es-R. At the moment i'm more interested in trying the wizzerless Mark Audio A12p gen II driver in it's extra large "pencil" box plan.

The impression i'm getting from what i think i understand of the asian guys discussions is that the cobalt lanthanum magnet of the 166Es-R has a good sound but they like both drivers, with trouble saying one is better then the other.
See post #177: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://2chnull.info/r/pav/1321187784/1-1001&ei=uHxzT43OEKLz0gH4zcT_Ag&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CGYQ7gEwCDiqAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DT96A-ex2%26start%3D170%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1062%26bih%3D588%26prmd%3Dimvns

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:49:42 PM
I am thinking about grabbing the BK-16 kit from Madisound http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/

I see some people have built the previous version with the tweeters on top, but the current iteration uses the 6.5" Fostex FE166En drivers.  I'm hoping this will share some of the same sonic attributes of the Orca's but will be able to fill a larger room with sound.  I'm also debating if these will have suitable bass a speed for rock, metal, or Electronica without the need of a dedicated Sub.  I'm not a basshead but I want to be able to achieve appropriate levels of bass for all genres.

My amp will be a Firstwatt F5 fed by a quickie or possibly a Stereomour if I can raise the funds.  This kit seems to be the least hassle to assemble and can be had a reasonable price.

Thanks!
Thomas

Offline Yoder

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:01:28 PM
Here are a couple of modded Fostex's from Decware (I'm curious as to how they perform):
the 8.5": http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR8.htm
and their 6.5": http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR6.htm

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
I have a  pair of the 8" decware in a pe box. I like them. I duplicate some of his mods on my other drivers. Damping the basket arms that face the spider with felt thats sticky on one side. Damping the exterior arms with soundcoat type material.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC