Occassional Static sound [resolved]

rockpassion · 1558

Offline rockpassion

on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:37 PM
Hello all,

I look at this as an opportunity to learn so bear with me.  I just bought a pair of Quicksilver V4's, they are about 5 years old with new JJ KT88 tubes plus new 12FG7 input and 12BH7 driver tubes.  I plugged them in and found them to really be great sounding amps (they replace Dynaco MKIII full Curcio Mods).  I just noticed over the last couple of days, I have only had them for 5 days, what sounds like a static discharge (scratchy, popping sound) coming from my right speaker.  I changed the output on my BeePre preamp and now the noice is coming from the left speaker.   I did not have this issue with my Dynaco's hooked up but am wondering if a connections is lose and discharging in some manner since making the change.

I have not swapped the tubes on the preamp  right to left.  Any thoughts on what to do next.  Once before I resoldered most of the connections which got rid of a bothersome buzz/hum should I do this again. 

Thanks for your thoughts before hand. 

Regards

Richard
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:49:02 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:51:22 AM
I think your instincts may prove to be correct.  With everything plugged in, what is the DC resistance between the BeePre chassis plate and one of the Quicksilver chassis plates?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockpassion

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:59:46 AM
Paul,

Maybe a stupid question but how do I use a DVM to measure this?

Thanks for the reply

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:18:05 PM
Set it to Ohms (lowest scale), touch one probe to the metal BeePre plate, touch the other probe to the metal on the Quicksilver chassis (maybe a screw head so you don't scratch that lovely chrome)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockpassion

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:52 PM
I beleive I found the problem.  I changed the EL84's and the static sound followed the change.  I took them both out cleaned the pins and placed them back.  Static is gone.  I am not sure if the cleaning did it or just reseating the tube in the socket which resulted in better contact.  Whatever it is the static is gone. 

Richard

Richard Vince