Which Tubes where

thdewitt · 1373

Offline thdewitt

on: September 12, 2015, 05:32:50 AM
Ok, one more question please.  I just purchased two 300B JJ tubes.  I have a beepre and Paramounts 1.1's.  Do you think the JJ's would be better in the Beepre or the Paramounts.  Where would the influence the sound more?  Is one tube better at something that would make it a better fit for one place or the other.

thanks,
Tom

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 10:43:49 AM
I think we should refuse to offer any suggestions and force you to try them on both pieces of gear yourself, and form your own opinion. That's the only one that matters.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Horatio

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:22:22 PM
I'm with Doc, experiment. I you have 2 stock tubes and 2 JJ's that lets you try (single channel) All Stock, All JJ and the two variations in between... I did that and settled on stock in the BeePre and Carbon Princess in the Paramount's but you may well find it completely different with JJ's and more importantly your 'ear'.

Offline thdewitt

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:40:28 AM
Ok.  I totally understand where you are coming from but I was hoping to take advantage of experience.  The room I have is not perfect for sound and I also feel like my mind tricks me in to hearing things.   I thought I could learn by knowing what might be better and use that as a reference.   

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:18:05 AM
The things that moving the tubes around affect are the subtle differences that make everyone's system sound different. As an example of how you can't decide in advance how to set things up - I took a Neothoriator to a well known manufacturer's place a while back and it sounded bright with the source he was using. Didn't really help that setup. A few weeks later I put it into a very different system and it solved a problem with the system sounding very rolled off. In my system it sounds right in the middle, quite neutral.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.