Need opinions on PA speakers, and specifically Bill Fitzmaurice designs

Pfenning · 1943

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
I am considering building some PA mains and possibly subs for live sound. I run sound for a couple local bands(rock and blues), and have been grabbing up some gear, trying to build a nice PA rig for bar band type venues. I have been searching around the web, and came across Bill Fitzmaurice designs. Can any of you guys comment on the claims of sound quality he says his designs can produce? I don't doubt the sensitivity he claims they have, due to the horn loading. I am a long time Bottlehead gear owner, and I still love my gear every time I listen to it. When I built my amps and pre's years ago, all my buddies said the claims were to good to be true, and they were wrong. Those same guys still can't believe the sound Bottlehead gear produces. Does Bill Fitzmaurice fall into the same category when you think of live sound? It makes sense that no mass speaker producer can manufacture a speaker with such a complex box, for a price that can compete with the run of the mill direct radiating speaker, so maybe the claims are true. Paul, hopefully you can comment on the designs. I'm considering the OmniTop 12 and Titan 39 combo. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Foos-it

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I'm not familiar with his designs, but he is active on the high-efficiency Audio Asylum board

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/bbs.html

You may get a better idea by reading several of his posts. He seems to know his stuff, and his posts are generally useful and to the point.

Paul Joppa