Original sex mono new power tranny

najo49 · 6569

Offline najo49

on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:07 AM
I have a set of original sex monos and one of the power transformer went up in smoke. it is marked PGP 8,1 on the bottom. does bottlehead have something availbable that would work. Thanks Jann O

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:33:43 AM
Yes, the current PT-7 (used in many of our products today) is quite suitable. It requires a different power supply arrangement, a voltage doubler instead of the original fullwave CT.

I have in recent months recommended some changes to the circuit values for use with the PGP8.1; if you have made those changes then you'll have to undo them to get the best performance. I know we've talked before but I don't remember exactly what you have - so if you want some help, let me know the following:

1) Do you have the Rev. 1.1 manual, dated 1997?

2) What changes (if any) are implemented currently compared to that manual?

3) What other iron components are in use (i.e. original stock output transformer and power supply choke, or something else?)

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:10 AM
Oh yes - are you certain it's the power transformer and not any other component? Did the fuse blow? I just want to be sure you solve the root problem before fixing the symptoms!  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline najo49

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:13:02 PM
paul, thanks for your reply . first the tranny started to smoke from the inside and was  very  hot to touch when I removed it. I do not have any manual, only the valve mag issues that apply. It was wired in para-feed using the old output as plate choke a c4s   and a OPT tranny I had sitting around. I think I would like to convert them to the original and get tfa 204 OPTs for it. What I would like to get is the manual that you refer to. do you have it? Jann O

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:19:20 PM
You gotta admit, the subject line on this one is pretty funny.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:19:00 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. The smoke COULD be due to an internal short in the transformer, but it is more likely that the circuit started to draw excessive current, which caused overheating of the transformer and may or may not have resulted in damage to the transformer itself. The PGP 8.1 would generate a fairly high voltage, and the power supply capacitors may have gone south first, for example. Or one of the tubes may have shorted internally - they are highly stressed with the high PGP8.1 voltage, unless the circuit values have been modded.

Ping me by email (paul at bottlehead dot com) and I'll see if I can locate a scan of the manual.

You might want to test the transformer to see if it is actually damaged. To do so, measure the DC resistances of the windings - I don't remember which is which, but the solder tabs are identified by winding number and a letter code for Start, Finish, and Tap. The primary should be 5.1 ohms, and the HV secondary 315 S to F (half that S to T or F to T). This will indicate whether the transformer is actually shot or not. You can compare with the good one.

But if you really want to get at the original S.E.X. amp with TFA-204, the PT-7 is in my opinion the best way to go.

Paul Joppa

Offline sl-15

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:01:50 AM
I have the original manual dated 1997 Rev 2.0. Let me know if you need it and I should be able to scan it.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline najo49

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:54:26 AM
Thank you, yes I would very much like to get a scan of the manual. Thank you in advance

Offline najo49

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:20 AM
Paul, let me run this by you. I did have a problem with the 220uf cap that goes to grd in the amp. It was over heating.This is the cap that gets the grn. wire from the plate choke and it has a 390 ohm acrossit then to gnd. this would come and go but it was a bad problem that I needed to address.It was getting far to much current. The transformer measures the same as the working one. Jann

Offline najo49

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 02:42:34 PM
Paul, I was looking at the James opt single ended. it has a 2.5,3.5,5k tap. do you think this would be a good OPT for the sex monos wired with the original design? I could use it later with a 2a3 or a 300b. Jann

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 04:51:54 PM
I have no experience with the James transformer, but the 2.5K or 3.5K winding taps are close enough th the TFA-204's 3K value - no changes needed.

Paul Joppa

Offline najo49

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 03:20:18 PM
Paul, I can not find a 1997 rev 1.1, do you think you have one you could scan and send me. One other bottlehead said he would send me one ,but now he does not answer my pm I sent him. jann O

Offline sl-15

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 03:55:39 PM
I scanned the manual last night and will email it to you tonight. I have rev 2.0

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 04:11:11 PM
Rats - we were posting at the same time.

You don't need rev 1.1, which is actually 1996 (not 1997 as I mis-remembered). You need Rev 2.0, plus the ParaSEX upgrade manual, plus the PGP8.1 installation manual. I have all three, scanned by another builder, in a PDF which I just sent.

Between the two copies, you should be able to puzzle out what the manual says!

Paul Joppa

Offline sl-15

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 04:18:31 PM
Paul, would you mind sending me those as well. My rev 2.0 has different values for the voltages and I would be curious to compare. Also curious about the para sex manual. I will pm you my email. thanks, Stefan

Stefan Hampel