Eros is humming

Why1504 · 5220

Offline Why1504

Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 10:32:50 AM
Another possibility is the 6922 is making the noise. You mentioned wiggling the tubes generated the problem at one point. Not sure if that is the case now. Does wiggling the 6922 create the noise? Even if it doesn't make noise when moved it could be that the tube is misbehaving. Of course the best way to test is to try a different 6922.

I removed the shield and instantly the noise increased when I wiggled the tube.  It came out of both channels if I lean the tube over to the right the noise stopped. I do not have a 6922.

What is my best source to get a tube?  Would Guitar Center have a 6922??

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:45 AM
It's not really a guitar amp tube so I kind of doubt they would carry them. We can send one to you. It kind of sounds like one pin sleeve in the socket might have been stretched and is making intermittent contact. You might try taking a very thin piece of stiff wire or a really tiny jewelers screwdriver and see if you can fit it between the ceramic holes and the metal sleeves and ever so slightly unstretch the metal sleeves in the tube socket.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Why1504

Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:40 AM
I removed the shield and wiggled the tube around and it is making good sound now.  Good chance it is a connection problem in the socket.  I will try to tighten the sockets.

Offline Why1504

Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 11:06:30 AM
I got a pick down in the socket and got it tightened up it did help, but it didn't solve the problem.

Popping is less frequent. but just as intense.

I don't know if it is a bad socket, tube or both.

After a few minutes the noise is getting worse.

Socket is plenty tight.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:11:24 AM by Why1504 »

Offline Why1504

Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 01:56:33 PM
6922 inbound.  Fingers crossed.

Offline pvannest

Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 06:41:06 AM
I agree with what Doc just stated.    I had a similar issue with mine when I first completed my Eros.   I was going crazy trying to track the problem down.    Then one day I had to move my system around and found that one of my interconnects had gone bad between the Eros and my preamp.    Sometimes, it is hard to see the forest for the trees.

Project RPM 1.3, Speed box, Acrylic Platter, Sound Smith upgraded Sumiko EVOIII  Eros, Beepre, Emotive XPA-2, Cambridge Azur 640C, Magneplanar 3.7i's, Dayton Audio Sub.