Step down transformer that also adjusts frequency?

Jphillips · 2832

Offline Jphillips

on: October 02, 2023, 04:37:55 AM
Hey all -- i'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but after relocating to the UK I'm trying to find a good step-down transformer that also regulates the voltage (from 50 to 60hz). Seemingly this is difficult to do, as most don't offer this capability. But my turntable motor is AC, so the frequency difference is likely to affect the speed.

Any suggestions?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 05:47:42 AM
Yeah a step-down transformer by definition can't adjust for frequency.  What you are looking for would be referred to as a regenerator.  What is the turntable in question?  Often times there is either a motor controller available or a completely different motor made for 50Hz operation.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jphillips

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 06:09:16 AM
Thanks Paul. It's the motor to the Marantz TT-15s1, https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/product/turntables/tt-15s1 [nofollow].

I have no problem jerry-rigging a separate motor in place, or adding some other sort of regular to control things if you have any ideas. It's a separate standalone motor so it would be easy enough to swap out.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 06:30:41 AM
There was/is a 50hz pulley for that turntable.  You would want to get one and trade that out for your 60Hz pulley, then you could use a simple step-down transformer successfully.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man