solder balling up

azrockitman · 4012

Offline azrockitman

on: June 25, 2013, 06:13:22 PM
I'm having soldering problems tonight that I haven't experienced before.  Relatively new Soldering station.  Temp set at 800.  My solder is just balling up and rolling off or barely sticking to the wire or terminal.  Specifcally I"m wiring to the power transformer at the moment,

I have noticed the same problem extends to me not being able to tin my tip.  The tip is totally free of solder.  googling has all sorts of comments, but one group says rough up the tip with fine sandpaper, another says that will ruin the tip.  Some said lead free solder is crap (which I'm using) and i need to find some 60/40 solder.

I do think the solder balling up and the tip refusing to be tinned must be related.  The solder balls up when I try to tin the tip as well.

Any suggestions? 

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:47:43 PM
Yes, the lead free solder is crap.

Get some basic L/T solder and go from there...John

John S.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
You won't find many fans of lead-free solder here. As someone who started out using lead-free solder, let me tell you that leaded solder was a revelation. Get 63/37, not 60/40.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline azrockitman

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:55:18 PM
I will say in my case, it turned out to be my tip.  I had a different tip that I bought that wasn't the tip I wanted to be using, but I switched and immediately I regained my ability to solder.   

I don't know what to do with the other tip, but I made about 8 perfect solders in a row after I switched tips.  Any tips on how to recondition my tip  ;) would be appreciated. 

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:04 PM
I would use Scotchbrite on the tip.  Don't remove the silver looking area at the end but clean it up.  Then heat it up, put some solder on it (melted) and quench the tip in a wet sponge. 

Over the years I have left my soldering station on for days, maybe weeks a few times.  The tip needs to cool down and be reconditioned.  It has always come back working.  I'm just lucky.