Foreplay II : anticipation upgrade - check out problem

choff · 9297

Offline choff

I just dug up my C4s anticipation upgrade kit purchased 8-9 years ago and installed in my Foreplay II.  Unfortunately.  I appear to be getting some different readings that I'm concerned about on a number of the terminals and don't know really how to proceed.  I have shown what each one is supposed to be in parenthesis.   

Please advise....thank you.

Terminal     Resistance

2                 28  (infinity)

10              380 (infinity)

15               0 (470K)

A1               1293 .......the (1) blinks on the meter (infinity)

A2               .625   (0-80k)

A4, A5          64 (infinity)

A6                730  (1 megohm+)

A7                1291 .......the (1) blinks on the meter (infinity)

A9                55.8  (infinity)

B1                1460 .......the (1) blinks on the meter (infinity)

B2                .441 (0-80k)

B4,B5            53 (infinity)

B6                 325   (1 megohm+)

B7                 1450 .......the (1) blinks on the meter (infinity)

B9                 64  (68k)

Offline choff

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:19:07 AM
Well,  given there was no response to the above issues I posted,   I threw some caution to the wind and plug in the tubes and fired the Foreplay up.   Tubes glowed....all the LED's light up and there was no smoke.   Left it on for a couple of minutes before turning off. 

Any thoughts on proceeding?   Thanks.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:35:48 AM
Well,  given there was no response to the above issues I posted,   I threw some caution to the wind and plug in the tubes and fired the Foreplay up.   Tubes glowed....all the LED's light up and there was no smoke.   Left it on for a couple of minutes before turning off. 

Any thoughts on proceeding?   Thanks.

The scale that the meter is set to will help you to determine if the numbers mean ohms, kohms, Mohms, etc. It's a little difficult to decipher your readings as posted. Does anyone know of a tutorial about reading DMMs? Might be good if we had a link to one. Since you have test fired it what I would probably do at this point is move on to the voltage checks and see if they are correct.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline choff

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:11 AM
Looking at the digital display on the meter the Kohms is showing on the right hand side.  I dug around yesterday and for the life of me I don't know where the meter manual went.   

Does this help?  Proceed with voltage checks?   thanks.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:18 AM
If you didn't get smoke voltage checks are in order.  Then, if within 15% of Doc's voltages, music.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:49:24 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline choff

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:25 AM
Voltage checks completed.  A few are above the 10% threshold.   The numbers in parenthesis are the ideal readings listed in the manual :

Terminal         Voltage

2                  182 (164)

7                  170 (153)

A3                2.1  (1.7)

B1                59  (47)

B3                2.1 (1.7)

B7                60 (47)

B8                64  (51)

Is there something going on the 'B' side as it seems these are where most of the high readings are?   Thanks for the help. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:04 AM
Most of the voltages are within 15% of expected.  Since you didn't post A1 then it is probably good.  B1 should be at the same voltage as A1 if the boards are right.  Well, within a few volts.

Terminal 2 and 7 are in the power supply and might be a little high because of incoming voltage or the B tube not passing enough current.  Check and post your incoming voltage (remember AC here).

A7 and B7 should be at the same voltages as A1 and B1 respectively since on each tube pin 1 and pin 7 are hard wired together.  You measured close so that is right.

Since most of your problems are around the B side tube, swap tubes and see if the higher voltage follows the tube.

Offline choff

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:03 AM
Swapped tubes and the measurements did in fact follow.     Is one tube better than the other?   Should i replace one of the tubes for more balance?  Am i good to go regardless?

thanks,
Carl

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:35 AM
If the balance sounds OK you are good to go.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:11:23 AM
One tube is worn.  The one that was in the B channel to start with.  Try a new pair, or just a replacement for the worn one and see how you measure.

I'll bet even the worn tube sounds pretty good now.

Offline choff

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:16:12 PM
Up and running.  This is a wonderful new sound.  DEEEP Bass extended bass that I have never heard my system reproduce.  Nice highs.....maybe a tad bright at times but I expect they might break in. 

I'm one happy camper with the exception of one issue......microphonics.  The turntable is ultra sensitive now and when set to the cd player i noticed right away a high degree of air / hum coming from the speakers that was not their before the mod.  In fact,  things were near dead silent compared to what I'm hearing with no music playing now.   

Got to be a grounding issue but where do I start?  Frankly,  I'm kinda tired of picking at this crazy box of brains and just want to enjoy how nice this new upgrade sounds.  Fun stuff.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:36:12 PM
The upgrade should not have any effect on hum, so I'd look at the cables and their connections first. Especially the ground (outside) of the RCA plugs.

I'm assuming you mean there are noises; microphonics usually refers just to vibration of the tube internal elements, unrelated to the turntable or CD player.

If you are getting noises when you touch the turntable, it may be that the turntable ground wire is not connected properly. Or it may be that the connection in the Foreplay between chassis ground and signal ground is broken (you did do that mod, years ago, right?!)

Paul Joppa

Offline choff

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 03:11:20 PM

If you are getting noises when you touch the turntable, it may be that the turntable ground wire is not connected properly. Or it may be that the connection in the Foreplay between chassis ground and signal ground is broken (you did do that mod, years ago, right?!)

hmmm..........not sure what modification you are referring too here?   but what you describe is definitely one of my main problems at present.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:14:16 PM by choff »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:57 PM
I think PJ refers to the jumper between T13 and T14 that grounds the signal common.  Carl said he had done that already.

Offline choff

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 03:59:25 AM
Some more info on this issue in case it helps determine the cause :  When i turn the Dynaco 70 on alone i get that "air" coming thru the speakers.  This sound is then amplified when i turn on the Foreplay.  The sound neither increases or decreases when turning the pots.   Even more background noise when Seduction is selected.  Tonearm exhibits reaction sound when tapped similar to when a microphone is tapped.

Not sure what you mean by "outside" of RCA ground.   Terminal 13 and 14 are connected as Grainger mentioned.