Page 30 Missing from 5/28 Manual - Anyone Help?

shanman · 7569

Offline shanman

on: July 04, 2010, 02:31:20 PM
5/28 version manual is missing page 30 Filter Capacitors. Anyone know how/where I can get this?  I'm anxious to finish this project today.  Thanks

Offline shanman

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:13:04 PM
I'm new to this forum.  Any idea why updated manuals are not posted for all members to access?  Copyright issues?  Would be much more efficient than shipping CDs.  Newbie getting off soap box now.

Offline grufti

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:14:26 PM
I sent you a Private Message with a .png of page 30. Hope it helps.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:51:17 AM
I'm new to this forum.  Any idea why updated manuals are not posted for all members to access?  Copyright issues?  Would be much more efficient than shipping CDs.  Newbie getting off soap box now.

Yes, Doc has posted about that.  The problem is controlling downloads, making them protected from anyone who did not buy the product.  He is looking into it for just such revisions that happen for a new product like this one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:56:28 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline shanman

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 04:21:43 AM
thanks grufti
I appreciate you sending page 30.  Like Hillary says "it takes a village" to get crackalackin.
shanman

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:32:39 AM
Guys I am darned if I know what happened, but I suspect the page was dropped in the conversion from Publisher to PDF.  I will try to get that page posted here today. We will not be putting the manuals up for free to the general public because the companies that rip off other companies' products are always looking for the easiest mark. What I am trying to set up is a way for one who has purchased a kit to access the manual from the shopping cart, but we have to work out a security issue on the server first.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Sorry about the missing page! Here's a link to it:

http://www.bottlehead.com/docs/Crack%20manual%20page%2030.pdf

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JC

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:53 AM
Wouldn't it be simpler to just e-mail manuals and corrections to the paid customers?  I realize a full manual is a large attachment, but I know that the size doesn't pose any problem at all to my "paid" e-mail account, only to the freebies I use for junk mail.

Jim C.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:23:33 AM
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately it would not be easier to email manuals to customers. Creating more disparate steps in getting the entire kit to the customer creates more places for things to go wrong, in other words we would be getting emails from customers saying they received their kit but there was no manual with it, or vice versa. I would suggest that we all remember that this missing page is a rather rare case.

I will continue to pursue making the manuals and some other material available for download from the shopping cart when we are a bit more caught up on some high priority projects

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JC

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:01 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself very clear: I wasn't suggesting that you stop sending the manual with the kit, only that you could transfer it to those who are entitled to a copy, and request one, via existing electronic means, rather than having to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak.

Jim C.

Offline breakfastchef

Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:12:01 PM
Let me get the story straight. If I wanted to get 'hooked' on Crack, the proper assembly instructions will be sent with the kit; including the mysterious page 30?
I am all about supporting the 'little guy' who can get many of us into the higher realm of audio components, but I also expect the same folks to have all the pieces in place to provide proper documentation for these kits. I am not necessarily knocking Doc and his operation. I sucessfully made two 300B mono amps, a phono pre and a pre-amp. All are wonderful. Should I choose to become a Crack addict, I would want to know that the assembly manual is complete.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 02:39:04 PM
This thread is supposed to be about a small number of Crack assembly manuals that were sent out six months ago. A link to the missing page was posted on the forum for those folks and I believe that Eileen may also have emailed it to those folks who found it missing on their CD. We don't know how soon a person will build a kit after they receive it from us. Some folks don't build the kit for many months. And so we leave this info available in case they happened to get one of those few manuals that was missing the page. The current manuals we are shipping are complete.

Like many threads, this one got off topic and turned into a discussion about sending out the manuals in an electronic format rather than burning them on CDs. At this time I do not feel that this would be the best way to handle the delivery of the manuals for various reasons involving file size and the permission structure of our secure server. In the future we may be able to make them available in this form.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.