2a3 Operating Points

ebag4 · 11787

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 07:46:55 AM
Hi Paul,

Bummer on the tfa-2004s, but it's no big deal really -- just had to ask as the measurementss looked fairly close.

And a special thanks for the rest of the post -- that's much more useful to me than something like "replace the 1.2k resistor with a...".  You kno, teach a man to fish and all that.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:18 AM
Ed,

I hope they are all to you that they are to Jim and I.  I can't wait to hear your impressions of the JJ 2A3-40 (and again after 250 hours)!!!!

John

BTW, I've only spoken with Mr. Eurotubes once but can assure you his cool...very nice guy and helpful. 

Hi John, I am hoping they arrive tomorrow, if not it should be Tuesday.  Can't wait to hear them. 

It appears that my caps should arrive sometime early next week as well, it will be difficult to refrain from installing the tubes and caps at the same time but my plan is to do one followed by the other at a later date so that I hear the differences each change makes.  More than likely I won't be able to wait more that a day or so, I'm like a little kid in that regard.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 06:24:42 AM
Ed, based on your other posts, I'm pleased you have found these tubes live up to the hype and then some!  Here is a photo showing the stock Sovtek 2A3 on the left and the JJ 2A3-40 on the right.  What a huge tube it is...it is hard to get a feel for the size until you see it in person!  John

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hawthorneaudio.com%2Fphotos%2Falbums%2Fuserpics%2F11473%2Fphoto-213.JPG&hash=0a9e66a21540c0d4651ccc4f447efd7fc9f361e1)

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 08:42:38 AM
And aside from the size difference, the weight and thickness of the glass is another thing you realize when you first handle them.  That's thee kind of thick glass you find on EML, EAT, and other similar quality tubes.

The JJ 300bs are likewise very beefy as well.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)