One 9 volt battery much lower reading

precd · 1225

Offline precd

on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:16 PM
One of my 9 volt batteries have a much lower reading than the other 3. 3/4 of a volt. It is the far left 9 volt if you are viewing the Quickie outputs at the bottom. All batteries are Duracell Gold and from the same lot. This is a good time for me to learn what the 9 volts do individually. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Adcom GFA-545
Bottlehead Quickie Preamp
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:18:10 PM
That just happens at times to me too. I guess this is normal variance in production quality. They do not all discharge exactly the same way.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:00:08 AM
This is a good time for me to learn what the 9 volts do individually. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

All four 9V batteries are wired in series, and they all see the same current drain.  Having one battery go down earlier/faster than the others is probably an indication of production variations within the batteries themselves.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline STURMJ

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:33:57 AM
individually the batteries all do the same thing.  They are all joined together to make the 36V for the tubes.