Back in the Bottlehead fold (and here's why)

mhardy6647 · 5431

Offline mhardy6647

on: February 08, 2011, 06:45:55 AM
I've been singing the praises of my old Paramours on multiple forums (fora?!) recently - it made me nostalgic and figured I'd come over to the Mothership and share as well.  Imagine my surprise when I saw the new Forum-at!  Well, I've registered and I am now making good on my intention from last week.

After a long hiatus, my Paramous (a very early kit, as I recall, they were a present from my wife!) have been re-activated. 

Over the past 15 years, I've discovered/decided that vintage Altec drivers deliver most of what I want at a reasonable price.  I've been through Valencias and a pair of Santiagos (the latter don't have much of a reputation, but I was quite happy with them) - driving them mainly with PPEL84 amps.

About a year ago, I was able to acquire, at an attractive price, a pair of Altec 604E Duplexes (heh, SuperDuplexes!) complete with Mastering Labs XOs.  My intention was to house them, eventually, in a pair of the corner cabinets designed by Bill Fortier (see http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/ ).  The ultimate goal was (and is) for these to become the "house speakers" in the purpose-built hifi room (inspired by Gary Kaufman's!) in our future "retirement home".

Late last spring, circumstances conspired for us to decide (a year or two earlier than called for by our vague "plan") to pull the trigger on the design of a colonial reproduction house for our retirement property by these folks:  www.connorbuilding.com

Also late last spring, my friend/contractor/cabinetmaker Mike Berg was recovering from some back surgery and had some time for shop projects... so I asked him to quote and build a pair of the Bill Fortier cabinets.

Drivers and cabinets came together at the end of the summer and were installed, somewhat imposingly, in our living room for the time being.  They sounded so good (with a Dynaco SCA-35) that they stayed (my wife is a wonderfully tolerant woman).

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv223%2Fmhardy6647%2F604EalaBillfort.jpg&hash=3c104d6f2d8effc320ca589d7ccf15facc1d4c24)

I ultimately figured "these are pretty high-sensitivity; wonder how the Paramours would sound on 'em?" and brought my Paramours (still utterly entry-level, although I did finally add the C4S loads at some point).   Fired them up and listened - and quickly packed up and decommissioned the SCA-35.  mmm-mmm, very nice.

The Paramours are back on full time duty for at least the time being.  Thanks Doc B & Company!

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv223%2Fmhardy6647%2FDSC_0105.jpg&hash=6b16b1f9f76daa9095da471a3a42d1eed4303b63)

Now, all I need to do is retire... :-P

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:10 AM
Welcome back.  I remember you well.

You said the magic word, Valencias, and expect a PM from poster Paully, he has a pair and is fooling with them.

I bought Paramours when Doc said there were only 5 pair left before the Paramour II would be introduced.  And of course I got the bug to play with them.  There isn't much stock in parts but the circuit is much the same, simple and elegant.  In fact I had Paully's Valencias on my Paramours and it could run us out of the room.  Those are really sensitive!  I can imagine the 806Es sing.

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:33:29 PM
it is always nice to see a system come together and even better when you can see the thought and patience that went into it. As you may have figured out I've know Bill for years. I'm glad his page on my site helped. Now time to sit back, relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Offline mhardy6647

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:52 PM
Bill was very helpful with details as well (stuffing suggestions, e.g.).  The midrange detail and presence of the 604 family is just tremendous.  I am very, very pleased with these.

As it happens, I also have a pair of 604Bs (but one has repairs to its cone and really needs refurbishing - so they both really need to go to the shop)... that's a story for another day, though!

Offline elcraigo

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:08:15 PM
Hey Mark ... as you, I've been off the Bottlehead bbs for a while.
I've been listening to all Bottlehead for, 12+ years.
Seeing your post about the 604s caught my eye, 1st hey it’s Mark, and second:
I just found a couple Olson SS-162 multi-cell tweeters from the early 70's. They look like a 811/511 horn that was hit with a shrink ray or the tweeters in the 604e's
The 1st speaker I built, used these along with mid horn (probably from Olson or Laffette), and a woofer in a chamber much like a cornscala design. I sure wish I still had them - long gone though.
I came up with speaker design by reading, over and over, one of those Altec "how to build" speakers pamphlets. Used a Heathkit tube oscillator and a VTVM to measure the speakers. Those pamphlets always had a 604 cabinet design, usually for a studio monitor in them.

As you say. All the best!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:50:14 AM by elcraigo »

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline ChrisM

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:18 PM
mhardy6647, Conner construction is based in Vermont.  I live in Vermont.  Are you somewhere here in the Northeast?  Living in Vermont do not know any Bottleheads in the area.  Are you in Vermont?

Offline mhardy6647

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:20:36 AM
We're in MA; the home'll be built in NH (near Hanover) and the builder's in Quechee, VT.
Plenty of hifi nuts in MA, NH, and, yes, even VT!

Offline Prairie Dog

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 06:19:53 AM
Hi Folks,
I've been batting around the idea of building a pair of speakers with GPA 604s.  I've found plenty of cabinet plans on the net (620a, Stonehenge III, etc.), but can't seem to find plans for Billforts corner cab design.  The best pic I've seen so far is the one linked above by Wardsweb.  I was wondering if anyone could help with the missing dimensions, angles, etc?  (I'm no math wizard, but I do have a decent table saw). 

Any impressions on how these perform with 2A3 Paramounts?

Thanks,
-Trevor