Input Issue - Ideas Please

skippy1416 · 11295

Offline skippy1416

on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:55 AM
Hello,

I recently completed my Foreplay III (my first kit) and I have been very pleased with the results.  I am listening to it right now and it sounds great.  I have one issue that I could use some advice with.

Input 1 and input 3 work fine but I have an issue with the right channel of input 2 (the left channel appears fine).  Here are my resistance readings.

Selector at Input 2

26 - Nothing
27 - 33.7 K
RI2 - Nothing
RI1 - 33.7 K

Even though the right channel of input 1 is hot when input 2 is selected this seems to have no effect when input 1 is selected.

Selector at Input 1

26 - Nothing
27 - 33.7 K
RI2 - Nothing
RI1 - 33.7 K

I had someone look over the wiring and they couldn't see any issues.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:26:26 AM
I am not following you.  The selector switch selects the hot and ground of the selected inputs, right and left.  Maybe check in the manual on the bottom of page 24 and verify against the picture. 

Have you assured yourself that it isn't the source?  You might swap the right and left cables coming into the FP III and see if your problem moves channels.

Offline skippy1416

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:33:30 PM
Hello,

Maybe I didn't explain the situation correctly.  Regardless of whether the selector switch is on input 1 or 2 the right channel of input 2 is dead and the right channel of input 1 is live in both settings.  To me and someone else who checked the wiring looks good.  I don't understand how the right channel of input 1 can be live in both settings.  I am wondering if this could possibly be an issue with the selector itself or if there might be something else that I have overlooked.

Thanks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:52:21 PM
You are right.  Since the selector switch switches both hot and ground for each of the inputs what you describe shouldn't be possible if the switch/inputs are correctly wired.

Have you mixed up an input and an output?  Does the volume control work well with the always hot input?  If so, the input output swap didn't happen. 

There are a lot of wires coming from the back of the chassis to the front.  Try using your meter and read resistance from each input to the selector switch.  That will make sure nothing got crossed.

Offline skippy1416

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:32:10 PM
I was swapping resistors to pad one of the inputs and I cooked some joints and now all inputs appear to be working fine.  I do have some bleeding of signal from input 2 into input 3 so I assume that two wires must have been touching and that I moved them enough to get things working.  This doesn't seem to be a big deal as long as the source of input 2 isn't playing while I am listening to input 3 (and in reality I am only using inputs 1 and 3).  I will continue to try and get things perfect - besides although I am happy to be done I am a little disappointed to not have a reason to get the soldering iron out anymore.