Headphones

TexasRugger · 27424

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 08:31:04 AM
The Speedball does a good job of providing the greatest improvement. Shunt regulation is also quite possible with the PT-3, but that is not a mod for the feint of heart. A stepped attenuator is also a good idea.   
When we built the prototype, we ran into those Auricaps and joked that they were almost as much as the kit would cost (we worked hard afterwards to get the price down). Still, someone has to try it!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 10:01:26 AM
Back to bypassing the stock electrolytics...  The voltage specs are borderline, but if PB gives the ok, then I'd really suggest somebody try the .1 uF Vishay Roderstein MKP-1837s.

I had extremely good results bypassing some nichicon KG and ES series caps that were used as output coupling caps in my Millet MiniMax headamp that I built for my dad last year.  I ended up with unbypassed blackgates, but the difference wasn't all that significant.

If PB gives the ok, then I'll definitely give this a try in my Crack when I get to that point.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ironbut

Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:59 AM
Hey Jim,

I looked through my stash and I have some of the 1837s. If I get a chance, I'll give them a try this weekend.
I use those as bypass caps on BlackGate Nx and they really do a nice job taking the edge off the highs. Really subtle but it makes long term listening much better. That's in a totally different application (dc blocker before an output transformer on a solid state signal processor).
If bypassing can be done without any untoward effects, the list of possible choices is endless. (which I like)

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 11:48:16 AM
Steve,

How did I know you would have some of these :D.

Yes, the NXs top end can be a bit aggressive, though the standard N and NH don't seem to have the same issue.

Well, let us know if you get a chance to try it.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Tubejack

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 08:20:27 AM
Here's another 100uf 250V  Metalized Polypropylene one might want to consider:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_axon.html

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 08:34:39 AM
Those were some of the first ones mentioned way back when, unfortunately, PCX is out of them and will not be restocking.  Michael Percy does carry them as well though.

HTH,

Jim

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 08:53:29 AM
I would suggest not using the MKP-1837.  5-10 volts is just not enough safety margin.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Bryon

Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 05:24:21 PM
I'm thinking about ordering upgrade caps for my yet to be built Crack.

Solen makes a 160uf 250v film cap but it is quite a bit more than the 100uf Daytons.  As it is meant to replace a 160uf electrolytic, does it make sense to spend an extra $20 on a cap to get the right value?  What sonic differences might one expect with a 100uf vs a 160uf cap [I think they are both 5% so there would be a difference]?

thanks

Bryon

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 07:33:02 PM
The formula 1/(2*Pi*R*C) will give you the -3db point based on the capacitor value in Farads and the headphone impedance in ohms.  Going to a smaller cap will raise the rolloff point according to that formula.  Plug in your headphone's impedance and 100uf (100*10^(-6)) so see what frequency you get out.  I would suggest shooting for anything between 3 and 10hz.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ironbut

Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:21 AM
I almost hate to steer this thread back to it's subject heading but I'll give you guys some of my thoughts on the headphones I tried with the Speedball upgraded Crack amp in Chicago.

I really wanted to try some of the better headphones and luckily one of my pals from Co. was just a couple of tables away.

HD800- Really one fantastic match IMHO. Maybe the best the upgraded Crack sounded all weekend. I'd listened to these many times before but was a little underwhelmed with them till CanJam. There were three amps that hit these cans with the "beauty stick" and added just what I thought they needed to really make them sing. One was $10k, the other was a large home brewed amp that would probably cost almost as much to market. Everything sounded fantastic with this pairing.

Beyer T1- I'd also heard these a few time before and from the amps I heard it on, it just isn't my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, for some folks, these might be a real favorite but even with the juicy, rich tone of the stock Crack, they were still a little to clinical for me.

Audeze LCD-2- These have been a real hit at the last few meets I've attended. Almost as fast and clear as an electrostatic with the mid bass punch of a dynamic, these planar driven headphones would be on my short list if I didn't already have some electrostatics I love. Unfortunately, just like planar speakers, they're a bear to drive. I'm not sure if any OTL will have a prayer of having the oomph to make these sing.

Sony Qualia- Kind of the redheaded stepchild and successor to the famous MDR-R10. These cans were very short lived in the Sony line up but they do have a small following in the unobtainium world. Somewhat like the T1 they are fast and accurate. The upgraded Crack did make them sound better than I recall right off hand, but these detail oriented headphones are way too much cash for what you get IMHO. The only reason I tried them with the Crack is because I take every opportunity to see if I can find that perfect match since they do have a lot of potential.

AKG K501- I've always enjoyed these headphones and actually prefer them to the K701. They are normally quite bass shy but there's something about the Crack amp (and many of Doc's offerings for that matter) that elevates the bass performance like crazy and this is no exception. I just looked them up online and see that they've now been discontinued but the K601 are similar and can easily be found for under $200. Personally, I'd keep an eye out for a used set of 501's which should be a real sleeper at just over $100 (in fact, I might just do that myself).

Sennheisser HD600/650- I'll say right off the bat that I've always preferred the 600 to the 650. With the Crack amp, this is no exception. I've always thought that the 600's were the perfect entry level headphone. You can find them for cheap ( I bought a B stock pair many moons ago before the 650 was introduced for $229 and recently sold them for $125- never did figure out what made them B stock though?).
For real bass heads who demand lots of slam, the 650's could be just your thing. I listen to lots of classical and jazz though so I'm much more detail oriented.

Well, that's about it for the cans I rolled through my rig in Chicago. I'm sorry the selection was a little top heavy but I was primarily interested in headphones I might want to buy in the future.

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 10:52:08 AM
Yo Steve,

I'm in agreement with you on the HD800s. The only way I've heard them sound better than on Crack is on my own homebrew amp (which would probably cost about $10K if we put it out on the market).

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline levlhed

Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 03:44:23 PM
It *would* be the HD800's, wouldn't it :)
I scooped up a HD600 to supplement my DT990

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Canuck57

Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 03:15:59 AM
Thanks for the headphone impressions Ironbut. I've ordered a built Crack (with the speedball upgrade) and I'm very anxious to get it. I just bought a used SEX amp and rec'd it yesterday and I'm very impressed with it. It sounds great with my HD650/HD580, Grado HF2 and even with the Beyer T1 (600 Ohm). I'm sure the higher Ohm headphones will sound even better on the Crack.

I also have these other headphones to try out on the SEX and CRACK, JVC AH-DX1000, Beyer DT-990 (600OHM), Ultasone HFI-780, Darth Beyer V3, AKG 240 MKII, SHURE SRH840, and Denon D2000s

Great products Doc!

Canuck57 (at head-fi as well)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #58 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:52 AM
Steve and/or Doc,

Regarding the HD-800s, were those with the stock cables?  I've heard that the cable can be important to getting the best out of these cans, but as I still haven't heard them myself yet I was hoping you folks could say something about that.

Also, Steve, can you describe the akg 501s sound, and are they open or closed design?  And thanks much for posting these thoughts, they're really useful to a guy like me who has limited experience with different headphones.

Any bass heads out there want to trade their 600s for my 650s?

-- Jim

Offline arsun

Reply #59 on: June 11, 2010, 07:23:46 AM
HD800s are fine with the stock cable IMHO. I think they have one of the best standard headphone cables on the market. There are many other parts in the signal chain to upgrade way before these cables, again IMHO of course :)...