Any opinions on Radiotechnique or CBS 5814 in Foreplay 2 and 3????

Pfenning · 2975

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
I'm particularly interested in how they compare with my RCA clear tops. I've run the clear tops in my Foreplay 2 for the last 10 years or so, and I've rolled in some Mullard CV4003 and Mazda's during that 10 year stretch. The Mullard's are to dark sounding for my system, and the Mazda's are pretty good, but not better. What do you guys think about the Radiotechnique and CBS 5814. Is there potential for a step up from the clear tops? Any other tubes I should be looking for that have sound similar to the clear tops? My other thought is keep the clear tops and spend money on better 2A3's like JJ's or ??? I'd love to hear everyone's opinions.

Current system is Foreplay 2 with c4s, auricaps, and RCA clear tops (Foreplay 3 arrived Friday, and it's waiting to be built)
Paramours with c4s, EH 2A3 and Brimar 12AT7 ( I have all the caps run in for the iron upgrade and hope to get it installed in the next couple weeks )
Seduction with c4s and Amprex Bugle boy 6dj8
Pi stage 4 speakers

Pfenning   

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Grainger49

It is dependant on your system and listening preferences.  I have a FP 2 and have a matched pair of RT 12AU7WAs from Upscale Audio.  I didn't like them that much and didn't like cleartops.  I did like the CV4003 quite a bit yet prefer the JAN Sylvania 6189W.

So my advice is if you like the cleartops, and you seem to, you just might like the RT tubes.

Paully also liked the CV4003 in his FP 2 but not in the III.  I think I am right about that, there was a top of the list tube that he didn't like as much in the III. 

He has since converted his FP III to 7N7.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Pfenning,

As Grainger sais, is it is all up to your own listening preferences.  If you're more or less happy with what you have, I myself would tend to think about upgrading the 2a3s to the JJs as you stated.  Every 2a3 amp I've had has benefitted substaintially from these JJ tubes (though I still have to give my EML meshers a try.)

If you go with the CBS Hytron 5814s, the best of the bunch are the mid-50s with the red labels, though they are, and have been, hard to find the last couple of years.  That said, I'd tend to think of them more as a different flavor or possibly an incremental upgrade over the cleartops -- depending on what kind of presentation you prefer.  At this point I also can't fully recall what those differences were, but I ended up leaving the CBS Hytrons in place.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Oh, as for 2A3 tubes I liked the Shuguang 2A3C a lot.  They were $100 a matched pair from the factory.  They were edged out by the RCA Black Plates, but not by much.  Considering the cost, they are a great deal.

The JJ 2A3-40 is a 300B with the 2.5V heater, IIRC.  So it is a whole 'nother animal.  They are extremely sturdy since the insides are mostly a 300B.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Hi Grainger. Can you explain the difference between the JJ tube and the Shuguang? The JJ tube is about double the cost of the Shuguang, but what does it mean to me in terms of sound, that the JJ is basically a 300B? Does it loose the life and realism that 2a3's seem to have?

Also, I get that it's personal choice on the tubes, I was just trying to keep as many hundred dollar bills in my pocket as possible. I value the opinions here much more than the opinions of some tube salesman. Thanks for the info.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Grainger49

I wish I could help there.  I haven't heard the JJ tube.  But I do know it is internally a 300B.  It would be better to find out about the sound from Jim who has them and also 2A3s, I don't.  Jim has experience with 2A3 and 300B.

JJ tubes are made in the Slovak Republic, the Shuguang in China.  

My experience with 2A3 tubes in my system is limited to RCA Black Plates and Grey Plates, the stock Sovteks and Shuguang.  Like I said above the RCA and Shuguang are very close, the price pushes the Shuguang ahead for bang for the buck.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Pfenning,

I've had both the JJ and the Shuguang 2a3c (as well as the shuguang Premium 2a3Z)and the JJ is by far my favorite of the 3.  They do not sound like 300bs if that is your concern.  IMO the 2a3c is somewhat bright, thin and glassy sounding and the 2a3z overly warm and llush with a rolled off top end.

The JJ has just more meat on the bones, more everything than the EHs and Sovteks, as well as much better top to bottom balance and smoothness.  But it can also punch hard when it needs to -- just an overall more refined sound.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Thanks Jim, that's a great overall comparison between all the types I was considering. I think I'll give the JJ's a shot.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Pfenning,

Great -- hope it lives up to your expectations, buut so far everybody I've recommended the JJ 2a3s to has been really happy with them.

If I had a pair of Paramounts I'd likely build them as 300b amps, change the filament voltage to 2.5 volts and run the JJs as 300bs in them, but that's an experiiment I can't do right now -- maybe someday.

-- Jim