record prices

aragorn723 · 2778

Offline aragorn723

on: June 13, 2015, 01:32:43 PM
Hi,

Is $25 a good price for a new record?  The album is Ed Sheeran's X on amazon.  Thanks,

Dave

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:23:44 PM
Yes it is, compared to Switzerland, where I live.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:49 AM
Wow, i'm surprised they're so much!  I'll have to stock up at garage sales, then buy a record player, then this album..

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:56 AM
New LPs are seldom less than $20.  Depending on whether it is a remastering 33/45, 180g/200g the prices rise from there.

Most current music releases I have seen are about $20.

Offline Chris

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:27:52 AM
just scoured the salvation army 5 for a buck section.. would be a gold mine if i was a herb alpert, ray coniff or mormon tabernacle kind of a guy....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 06:35:10 AM
It was 20 years ago that you found great titles for 35 cents in the Goodwill bins and nobody looking at them. Nowadays you find a lot of Millenials digging thru the bins and naturally they are picked over. Hey, you guys wanted vinyl to make a comeback ;^)>

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 09:13:28 AM
Timing is everything when it comes to a rewarding Goodwill experience. If someone just did some spring cleaning, donated their collection and you got there first.... Over the years I've gotten lucky that way walking out with a shopping cart full. Not lately though.  :(

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 03:01:03 PM
The best Goodwill booty typically ends up on ebay these days.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 05:06:59 PM
Yeah probably true....

Offline mkane

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 06:01:29 AM
  I scored at Goodwill last week for some quality LP's. They were well taken care of, visually. IMO the music leave a lot to be desired. I'll keep a few just for the occasional 80 year old visitor. 3 Tommy Dorsey lp's, Mike + The Mechanic+?????,Jody Watley,Scott Joplin. Anyhow, good condition LP are out there.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi285.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fll58%2FMKane63t%2F001_zpsfvybc7iy.jpg&hash=81e263da4db37a9da848aa8961e07c1b3c784f26)

Offline Yoder

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Is $25 a good price for a new record?

In 1970, give or take a couple of years, the list price of an LP was $12.99. Granted, one rarely paid that amount and you could get factory cutouts for $2.99-$4.99. But, today that $12.99 price tag would be listed at about $80.00. So in relative terms, I would say "hell yes, $25 is a good price for a new record." Besides, most of the new LPs come in at 180 grams or more. I still have some 1970 LPs that must weigh 90 grams and move in the wind like a piece of paper. The few new LPs that I have purchased in the last few years, I have found to be superior in quality to the ones we purchased in the 60's and 70's..though there is the rare exception on both sides. Also, LPs manufactured during the 70s energy crisis are of inferior quality, since a lot of the vinyl was of inferior quality and often made from recycled material due to the "oil crisis." I actually purchased about six copies of the "Sunfighter" LP, because it would start hissing after about 24 plays. Consequently, when buying used vinyl I avoid these years.

I do agree with trying to buy at Goodwill, ARC, etc. Though as mentioned, they have gone up considerably in price in the last two years. In fact, I can get quality used vinyl at a used record store for a cheaper or slightly higher price than Goodwill and the rest. I know the used record shop only sells vinyl of VG or better quality, and so that is where I target most of my purchases now days. If one is diligent, then it is possible to "stumble" into a great deal at Goodwill. My wife went in right after they had priced a persons record collection. All of the LPs had protective covers, were labeled for his library, and in like new condition. Given that is was "discount" day, she ended up buying about 50 like new LPs for $100...Elton John, Cat Stevens, Steely Dan, etc.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:01 PM
cool!  Wish they would have a whole bunch of Pink Floyd albums like that.  The more I think about it, the idea of inexpensive records at garage sales, etc sounds good, though that means it's hit or miss..  That's one thing I don't like.  Of course, you can buy stuff online too, but that seems kinda hit or miss too if you buy used, because it might not work right (like if you bought on ebay)..  The one saving grace is the rating scales..  It just seems like the only way to be sure to get good records is to buy them new online.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:04 AM
Some Bottleheads got in on my LP giveaway.  I charged under $3 for the first 2-3 LPs.  They were all duplicates I don't need.  Ask Chris.

Offline Chris

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 07:02:53 AM
Yes , for sure, I am a MOST happy GraingerWill  "Gwill" recipient.. The vinyl is absolutely pristine... Thank you very much again G...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:03:06 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris65

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:59 AM
The more I think about it, the idea of inexpensive records at garage sales, etc sounds good, though that means it's hit or miss..  That's one thing I don't like.  Of course, you can buy stuff online too, but that seems kinda hit or miss too if you buy used, because it might not work right (like if you bought on ebay)..  The one saving grace is the rating scales..  It just seems like the only way to be sure to get good records is to buy them new online.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

Hi Dave,
IMHO, the best place to buy new records is your local record store (if you have one). There you have the ability to check the record, & listen to used records usually, or return new records should there be an issue. And most record stores don't sell poor records, it's just not worth their while.
On-line is fine too, just be a smart shopper: check ratings, feedback, etc

There are some new 'not so good' pressings, just as there has always been, but by far, the vast majority are fine.