Weak output [resolved]

Paulo147 · 1370

Offline Paulo147

on: January 12, 2016, 10:55:58 AM
Hey all,
So it has been 6 months since my build and it has been working great until I noticed something the other day. The output is pretty muddy and seams to be going in waves. IE it will be soft and then get loud for a few seconds and gets soft again. While trouble shooting I disconnected one of the rca wires and the opposite side sounded like normal. Then I tried the reverse and it followed to the other side. So basically no matter what cable I disconnect it instantly sounds normal out of the opposite side. Before I take it to the bench I was wondering if anyone had some quick insight or maybe this has been discussed before?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:55:24 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:59:23 AM
So if you use just one channel, it will work just fine?  It would be a good idea to verify that cables aren't at play here, so I would try swapping the cables from the TT into the Reduction to see if the muddiness follows one particular cable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paulo147

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:03:19 AM
Yes, exactly. It happens no matter what cable I disconnect. Input or Output, Left or Right.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:18 AM
I would carefully perform some of these swaps and look for voltage changes in the Reduction.  I would also have a long look around for flaky solder joints, as well as the condition of the jacks themselves.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paulo147

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:42 AM
Ok, finally had more time to look into it. It appears to be an issue with my main amp itself and not the reduction. Time to find a new power amp I guess...