Stereomour II mods

hmbscott · 2146

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: March 05, 2024, 01:26:50 PM
I'll have to pop by since they aren't all that far away.  I bet they could just whip out bases and finish them in house very easily.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hmbscott

Reply #46 on: March 05, 2024, 04:51:48 PM
Wow! Gorgeous.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: March 05, 2024, 05:56:46 PM
Wow! Gorgeous.

Yeah, everyone was like "wow, good job building those bases", and I had to break the bad news to them that I have no idea who made them or where they came from.  I sure would like a few more though!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mucker

Reply #48 on: March 06, 2024, 01:16:31 PM
Nice stuffs fellas! Shunt regulator .... yeah it's cool you are waiting on that because it will give you a good idea just how great the Stereomour II can be. It transformed mine.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:37:27 PM by Mucker »

Offline hmbscott

Reply #49 on: March 07, 2024, 04:22:11 PM
... Shunt regulator .... yeah it's cool you are waiting ...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to experiencing that!. It's going to be a while. I'm currently breaking in my tubes, and boy did they need it! The first hour of listening was a bit ... it sounded good, but something was definitely a bit off, because I just couldn't settle down to listen through an entire song. It seems like 75% of the break-in happened in that first hour though, and now that I've got maybe 15 hours on it, it is sounding like butter! I'm going to give the stock Psvains a full month or so, and then swap in my RCAs. And then ...

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #50 on: March 07, 2024, 05:42:43 PM
We need a night shot...John

John S.

Offline hmbscott

Reply #51 on: May 01, 2024, 06:28:27 PM
It's taken forever, but I have finally finished the Claro Walnut bases for the Stereomour and Moreplay. It was a painstaking process because I am terrible at mitering and this was an amazing piece of wood that I didn't want to F-up (required building a custom jig to do it properly). I wanted to book-match and grain wrap the bases and to try a french polish. It took somewhere between 30 and 40 coats of shellac, but I really wanted to do justice to the spectacular grain.

Over the past few months I have fully burned in both the original Psvane tubes (good) and a pair of matched NOS RCA Black plates (amazing), and damn! The Moreplay & Stereomour can really sing!

Up next, and I'm a bit afraid, because the Stereomour already sounds perfect, the Shunt Regulator upgrade and DC filament supply.

At some point I will talk about the output impedance switching I built in to my Stereomour, it's really interesting. I use it a lot more than I ever expected.

Scott

Offline Karl5150

Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 03:23:02 AM
Your continued attention to detail has really paid off. Lovely.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 03:36:41 AM
Great job, love the corner spline's.

Lee R.