Crack 1.1 234V Mains Transformer Configuration

Pflugshaupt · 641

Offline Pflugshaupt

on: November 29, 2017, 01:10:51 AM
Hi Forum,

I completed my Crack build yesterday evening successfully. It's the first device I ever built from scratch and thanks to the many pictures in the manual I was able to pull it off without problems. All tests went well and the amp is working just fine. I live in Switzerland and standard wall electricity is 230V/50Hz here. I measured my outlets and I am getting 233-234V/50Hz. Therefore I used the transformer configuration for the 225-235V range.

Now that the amp is running I measure a wattage of 41 Watt (using a decent meter). I read on this forum that 30-35 Watt is normal. I tried two sets of tubes and with both the Crack uses 41 Watt after some initial fluctuations. Now I wonder: should I maybe have used the 235-245V transformer configuration? Is 41 Watt too much? Does it mean my parts will wear more than they should? Does it make the amp run too hot? When I did the voltage checks, all internal voltages were in the 10% measure range, but they were all close to the maximum of the range.

Should I rewire my transformer or not bother? Note I'm very pleased with the sound. I will install the Speedball mod in a few weeks.. does that make a difference to how the incoming Voltage is handled?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 03:45:30 AM
The 35W number is a rough estimate.  41W certainly isn't unexpected.  If your voltages are all within specification, then your amp is operating properly.  I would not rewire the transformer primary.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Pflugshaupt

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:13:40 AM
Ok thanks! I think it sounds awesome with my HD800 already before the speedball upgrade! Building went ok, it took me a long time as I'm not used to soldering. I believe some steps could be simplified by assembling some parts before they get attached to the crack. I mean the diodes and the rectifiers which have been quite fiddly for me. Thanks for an awesome product!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:00:46 PM by Pflugshaupt »