Sockets

petercintn · 5943

Offline petercintn

• Audio Love
on: February 28, 2012, 08:25:09 AM
Hey Bottleheaders,

I'm thinking my first upgrade would be tube sockets.  I have looked around but I don't really know what I'm looking at.  I'm looking for something 'easy' to solder and basically the best socket there is unless it's uber bucks.  I have seen sockets that seem to just have wells instead of holes and I was wondering if their nice for soldering, my least favorite part of the build was soldering those sockets, the 9 pin was the worst, but I still want to upgrade them.  Unless I'm thinking wrong and there's no need for that upgrade.  I appreciate the help.

Peter Collins

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:01 AM
The sockets that come with the kit are good. They create a good tight connection, but if you want Teflon sockets are good. I have used the ones in the attached link and they work well and now come with PC boards that should make soldering easier.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/socket_connex_prem.html

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:06 AM
PartsConnexion also sells the excellent Belton sockets.  They provide a very firm grip and are also inexpensive.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline petercintn

• Audio Love
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:10 AM
Cool, thanks guys.

Peter Collins

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:42:29 AM
Peter,

I would upgrade something that will change the sound first.  I roll tubes and capacitors.  But both cost more than the tube sockets.

Offline petercintn

• Audio Love
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:47 AM
That's good advice and I am looking at mpre tubes.  I have a RCA 6as7 and a Tung Sol (new) 12au7 to roll and have.  I like what Doc sent me better.  So I'm going to get a Cifte 12au7 but I haven't found a 6080.   My nine pin sometimes hisses and I have to move the tube around in he socket to get it to quiet down.  This only happens seldom and didn't start till I was testing out useing my receiver as a pre/power amp for the Crack.  I have shorting pins to pull out of the Yamaha and it turns into a pre or power amp depending on how you hook it up.  Much to much gain as a pre amp and hardly any gain as a power amp.  When I finished the socket was noisy.  I got it quiet but it's happened a couple of more times and if I'm going to rewet those connections, I'm gonna put in some easier to solder sockets.

What do ya'll think of this Winged "C" 6H13C / 6AS7G, shoot can't embed while editing.  It's from the tube store.  I wasn't that impressed with the RCA 6as7g, sloppy bass IMOH.  If all 6as7's sound like that RCA I'll pass.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:37:06 AM by petercintn »

Peter Collins

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:14 AM
Peter,

It sounds like your tube pins/sockets need cleaning.  Look here at Q #2 in the FAQ thread:

FAQ Thread

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:53:42 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline petercintn

• Audio Love
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:07 AM
I'll give it a try as soon as I stop listening to Pink Floyd, but their both brand new. Tube and socket I mean.

Peter Collins

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:12:06 AM
Right but they might have been made years ago. 

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:31:00 PM
...but their both brand new. Tube and socket I mean.

New, OS, used, NOS...doesn't matter.  None of those states of existence necessarily include clean.  Always best to clean the sockets and pins. The socket holes tend to be "crud magnets"!!  Good idea to, every so often, take the tubes out and then "re-seat".  Some sockets will "walk the tubes up" from the hot/cooling/cold cycle, so, again a good idea to occasionally gently re-seat the tubes in the sockets.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:32:06 PM
Hi Peter,

If cleaning the sockets still leaves you with noisy or intermittent connections, the QQQ sockets you can get at PCX and other places are very nice, have a death grip on the tube pins, and are very reasonably priced compared to other boutique tube sockets.  They come in noval and octal only, which is fine for the Crack, but I sure wish they'd come out with an UX-4 version.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:55 PM
Peter,

I would upgrade something that will change the sound first.  I roll tubes and capacitors.  But both cost more than the tube sockets.

Sound advice... but man does it suck changing them out after completing a build.

Offline corndog71

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:08:41 PM
It's not necessarily about improving the sound, it's about having a secure physical connection for your tubes. 

If you have any issues with your sockets I would say get some better ones.  They're cheap.  Ever since I tried the beltons in my amp I'll never go back to cheap ceramics with crappy pins.  Having replaced several crappy ceramic sockets over the years has lead me to this. 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:30:52 PM
I like to use the gold plated teflon sockets, but they are a little expensive. Jim mentioned the QQQ from pcx, they are very well built and reasonably priced. Look kinda neat too. I picked some up to use in the Quickie.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline johnsonad

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:28:44 PM
The sockets that come with the kits are impressive in their grip and that's the important connection.  The Belton's are highly rated on other forums for their price and perform well in rebuilds.  I use them in all of my vintage rebuilds.  I can't understand spending $50 on one socket when that could be spent towards a quality tube which WILL make a difference.

Clean those pins well, get a solid connection and make sure your solder joints are quality.  You are not going to get major improvements from a socket unless it is shot....

Aaron Johnson