Sockets

petercintn · 5940

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:35 PM
I put in different tube sockets in 3 of the Eros tubes at the build (Teflon Composite $6).  I have had new Teflon/Gold sockets for my 2A3s for a year and haven't wanted to dive into my Paramours because of all the connections around the sockets.  

One of the things about a Bottlehead product is it has a short signal path.  It keeps the design compact and noise low.  But it makes the tube sockets very busy.  So keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:16:08 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline lior.amsalem

Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:00 AM
quick note, the Belton sockets are truly awesome and I've used them in my build.
just make sure you have the right equipment to enlarge the aluminum plate sockets hole cause these sockets a bit larger then the stock.

Lior

Offline Laudanum

Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 01:53:39 AM
I have used the standard ceramics in everything I've built over the past 10 years.  Not as much stuff as most folks here, Im sure.  But all the recent Bottlehead gear and a couple amps as well as another phono stage.  I havent had any problems with any of them yet.   But they dont get tube rolled often after I settle on tubes.   Im sure the better sockets, are, well, better or atleast more durable in terms of standing up to rolling and maybe the long haul.  But with my having no issues, I havent found any reason to replace them or use something more expensive.  I guess it's an if it aint broke, dont fix it kinda thing for me.

Desmond G.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 02:38:19 AM
What do ya'll think of this Winged "C" 6H13C / 6AS7G, shoot can't embed while editing.  It's from the tube store.  I wasn't that impressed with the RCA 6as7g, sloppy bass IMOH.  If all 6as7's sound like that RCA I'll pass.

Check the LONG "tube rolling with crack" thread regarding the 6H13C's.  There are impressions scattered throughout the thread but some recent comments from myself and MR. Toobz on these tubes.  They are available for cheap in epay, you may want to check there instead of spending more.  Personally, they arent my cup of team but YMMV just as I think the RCA 6AS7's sound very good eventhough I prefer the 5998 and it's quite a different sounding tube than the 6AS7.  Obviously this is all very ear, headphone and system dependant so you may like the 6H13C's, I think a couple Crack owners do. 

Desmond G.

Offline petercintn

• Audio Love
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:50 AM
Just a follow up.  It seems that Grainger hit the nail on the head, after cleaning the socket/tubes I have heard nothing but silence.  So I'll leave the sockets alone for a while.

Peter Collins