Confirming resistances before moving to voltage checks

oguinn · 756

Offline oguinn

I believe that I'm in the clear here, but in an over-abundance of caution I figured I'd ask the experts.

Two questions:
  • In the resistance check instructions, it is mentioned that the value read when looking at the buss and the ground screw for the power transformer is "most likely a fraction of an ohm." Mine read 1.2 ohms. I used that as my baseline, and everything that was meant to read zero ohms read around 1.2 ohms. The 1.2 value is acceptable even though the instructions say it'll be about a fraction, right?
  • I was seeing some issues with the ranging values on 30, 32, and H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, and H7 reading in the hundreds of ohms instead of thousands or millions. This thread has a similar issue and says it's fine especially if the unit has passed the glow test (mine has). Does that apply here, or am I interpreting a dissimilar situation to fit my own?

I'm excited to move on to the voltage checks if I'm all clear!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:18:24 AM
You're good to go.  I would guess that if you touched your meter probes together, you'll see something like 1 ohm on your meter.  What you don't want to see on a terminal that's supposed to read zero ohms is something like 100,000 ohms. 

The other values you have noted are indeed checked midway through the build when you do the glow test, so there is no need to be too concerned about those.  There's a giant cap in that part of the circuit that will make meter readings unpredictable.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:30:14 AM
Good deal. After my afternoon meetings I'll throw on a pair of shoes, cram my left hand in my pocket, and get to the voltage checks. Exciting stuff! Thanks, Paul.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:32:10 AM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 10:24:55 AM
Oh man, voltage checks passed. It sounds AWESOME. I was a little worried that it wouldn't power my Overnight Sensations to the level I wanted, but that wasn't necessary since it's PLENTY loud. I wonder what would have happened if I'd gone with 4 ohms instead of 8... but it's great!

Thanks, everyone, for the help over the past couple months. I'll post build pictures a little later.

Jameson O'Guinn

-