Should the Quicksand be louder than the SEX?

oguinn · 734

Offline oguinn

on: November 13, 2018, 05:52:34 AM
While my SEX is down for repairs (I think I need to reheat some joints on the tube socket - it sounds like the right channel is under water), I dropped the Quicksand into the signal chain for now. What I've noticed is that it is MUCH louder than my SEX is. Is that typical?

My setup is this:
  • iPhone playing Apple Music at about 75%
  • JDS Labs DAC
  • Quickie (running at full volume when going into the SEX, but much lower when going to Quicksand)
  • Quicksand or SEX
  • Blumenstein Orcas

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:35:36 AM
The gain of the Quicksand is higher than the gain of the SEX.  I suspect the SEX will deliver more peak power, but I have not done any measurements on that.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 06:55:07 AM
Perfect, thanks Paul. Wanted to make sure I didn't have two issues to troubleshoot while the SEX was on the bench  :)

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:00:40 AM
Also, I just wanted to say how much I'm liking the Quicksand. I'm grateful I snagged two of the remaining ones. I'd be really sad to be without music until the SEX is fixed. It's a great little amp!

Jameson O'Guinn

-