Quick question about the Quickie

Remoter · 1258

Offline Remoter

on: May 11, 2013, 07:08:49 AM
Received my Quickie late this week and was able to get started on it this morning but now sadly must walk away for the day.
I ordered the Q with the upgrade. The instructions are on a separate PDF file on the provided CD which is fine but drives my question. Is the upgrade simply added to the completed Quickie or is there a point in the build where I should be consulting the upgrade instructions?
Dan

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:07:45 PM
We always recommend building it stock first. There are three main reasons:

1) There is more experience the standard build, so it is easier to help you get it working if there are any problems.

2) It's a great educational experience to hear the difference when you change things.

3) We don't want to write - or support - more different manuals than necessary.

Actually, though many people make changes during and/or after the initial build, we can't possibly support multiple variations - so we just support a single path. You are not forced to follow that path, it's just the difficulty of finding support if you stray from it ...

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:15:07 PM
2+ to Paul's advice on building stock first.

Some other reasons to build stock first is that the stock kit is the 'cleanest', in terms of the parts fitting were they are supposed to, and looking like what you see in the manual.

From what I have seen from others who have had problems with finding out why their kit isnt working, is that their build is not meticulous and clean/organized looking. If your build looks like a rats nest of wires and resistors its going to be really hard to trouble shoot. Take your time. Think about where the part is going to go. Keep it neat. Double check that it looks just like the picture in the manual before you move on. Double and triple checking your work in the first place saves much more time in the long run.

Later on, will be much easier to mod the Quickie if you have been slow and methodical with the build in the first place. It is a great opportunity to understand what each part does, and where the mods will make the most difference.

cheers! - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Remoter

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:07:51 AM
This makes sense - Thanks
Happy mothers day!
Dan

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:13:59 PM
Thanks Dan - I passed it on to the wife... The other thing to keep in mind with the Quickie, and other more complex kit, is that there are mods that yield more benefits than others. Most of us have our opinions, and there is science behind some of the mods, but most is alchemy. Dont get too 'hung up' on most of it. The coupling caps are IMO the best place to start. I will leave it there....

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.