Quickie pops and hums

jwa · 1210

Offline jwa

on: April 12, 2016, 09:58:47 AM
Hello,
I have a Quickie that I assembled about a year and half ago. The few times I have attempted to hook it up to the system there has been nothing but a tremendous hum and pops even with the volume set at zero.

I have checked my work (visually and with volt meter) and cannot find a wiring problem. I will say that I have Cerebral Palsy in my right hand and arm which made assembly a challenge.

The amp I use is this- ClassDAudio CDA 258 kit. It 250 watts x 2 into 8 ohms. With the little TEC 754 preamp  and Klipsch Epic CF 3 speakers I use now, everything is dead quiet. Could the Quickie not be compatible with this amp?

If they are compatible, is there someone I might be able to send the Quickie board to so that my assembly work may be double checked?

Thanks,
John

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:47:13 AM
Sounds like a loose connection.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 01:53:29 PM
It 250 watts x 2 into 8 ohms. With the little TEC 754 preamp  and Klipsch Epic CF 3 speakers
You will also have the issue that you have a very high gain amplifier feeding very sensitive speakers.  Two pairs of Harrison Labs -12dB attenuators plugged into your amplifier will likely make integrating other components a bit easier.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man