Quickie Troubles

InTheWoods · 1505

Offline InTheWoods

on: December 30, 2016, 05:03:06 AM
I have had my Quickie for about 4 years now. I moved to a new home, hooked it up after it sat for two years, and noticed I had a buzzey hum. So I fashioned a ground for one of the RCA inputs and grounded to my electrical outlet ground. That helped not only with the buzzey hum but also with the inductance I hear when I place my hand close to the tube. However it produced a rhythmic click. I installed a PJCSS upgrade last night. The clicking did not go away, and I may have a little more buzz now since almost eradicating it.

In checking the voltages this is what I have:

IA/IB - 35.75 on each.
A6/B6 - 24.25/27.15
A5/B5 - 1.9/2.1

I am using a Adcom 545 power amplifier and CD input.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:56 AM
Clicking can come from your cell phone, or occasionally a wifi router or computer that's in close proximity.

Switching your phone to airplane mode and shutting down your computer would be good steps to take to eliminate each as a potential source of noise.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline InTheWoods

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:10:16 AM
Thanks for the reply CBP. I have a wifi router in close proximity and it also shares the same electrical circuit. Ill play with that some.

So the voltages look ok? The A6/B6 voltage is way off according to the instructions.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 01:51:41 PM

So the voltages look ok? The A6/B6 voltage is way off according to the instructions.
Your plate voltages look OK, especially considering that your filament bias voltages are about spot on.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline InTheWoods

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:23:59 PM
Well I feel like a heel. I rolled a new set of tubes in and everything quietened down. A very small minute amount of noise with your ear pressed against the speaker like she was your date. All is good.

Why or why do I always think the worst!

Thank you for your responses CBP.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:50:38 PM
I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you.  If the batteries are all fresh, high plate voltage can indeed be an indicator of a tube that's starting to wear down (and a listener who is doing his job well!).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland