What are you using your S.E.X. to drive?

Japhy · 6489

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 02:08:04 PM
I bought the SEX amp from Doc and it already had the goldpoints installed.  So, for me anyway, it was a piece of cake.  From the looks of it, there seems to be plenty of room.  I think I have a picture of the underside that Dock took of it.  If I can find it I will attach.

I did install goldpoints on my FPIII and it was no problem.  I probably didn't give it a fair before/after listen to know exactly how the sound improved.  I think they sound really nice and more than anything, I love the feel of the things. They just feel well made, solid and in control.

I also installed a Khozmo (www.khozmo.com) in my Crack amp.  This thing is really huge and heavy.  I had to dremel part of the side of the base to get it all to fit together.  Price is about the same as the goldpoints but these are 44-step machines that are all business.  You will have to be patient, though.  They ship from Poland and it takes a little while.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Japhy

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 02:20:06 PM
Wow....the Kozmo look impressive....what are the dimensions like?

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 02:24:58 PM
Here is a picture of the Khozmo alongside the original pot.  I think that helps more than anything.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Japhy

Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 08:49:17 AM
Wow....that thing is huge!  Would have to move the chassis hole quite a bit to fit this one into the SEX amp.  Interesting in trying the goldpoint however.  Maybe a bday present at the end of the month?!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 09:33:31 AM
The Goldpoints are great and Arn is a great guy to deal with. In the picture I think we are looking at the surface mount resistor style. My favorite Goldpoint is the style that can be stuffed with Vishay/Dales (remember when we could call them just plain "Dales"?)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline somniumest

Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:47 AM
Audio Nirvana 12" full range speakers. I get enough bass that I actually shook a window pane out with stock SEX 2.0

Brent Stubbs

Offline BNAL

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 05:46:27 AM
I bought the SEX amp from Doc and it already had the goldpoints installed.  So, for me anyway, it was a piece of cake.  From the looks of it, there seems to be plenty of room.  I think I have a picture of the underside that Dock took of it.  If I can find it I will attach.

Randall,

Looking at the picture of your S.E.X. amp I see a couple of electrolytic caps ziptied to last power supply cap. Are those bypass caps?

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:16 PM
That's actually a question for Doc.  I purchased the amp already assembled.  It was one of the showroom amps that Doc assembled back in 2004.  It has plenty of nice appointments.

OK, I guess the answer is "YES".  I just went digging through my files.  Here are the notes from Doc when I purchased the amp:

The amp has the MagneQuest full nickel S.E.X. kit upgrade iron (output transformer frames are painted bronze hammertone and coils have been upholstered in black leather), a Goldpoint attenuator, Black Gate cathode bypass caps, C-D Vitamin Q style interstage coupling caps, Clarity Cap parafeed output caps, Gold Big Stud binding posts, C4S loads, shorting headphone jack upgrade, and a pair of Westinghouse 6DN7s.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics