Availability 3.0 upgrades

moriez · 2285

Offline moriez

on: March 01, 2017, 09:34:09 PM
Hi,

For mostly practical reasons I'm wondering when we can expect upgrades like C4S to come out.
If there are other upgrades planned I'd love to hear about it as well.

Cheers!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:39:29 PM
Josh and I were just talking last week about shooting the manual for the SEX 3.0 C4S (S3X4S?).  I can't speak for his time availability to complete the manual, but I would imagine that we'll start taking orders for that upgrade near the end of March or in early April.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline moriez

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:22:27 AM
Excellent. That's faster than what I hoped for.

And are there any other 3.0 upgrades planned in the near or not so near future?

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:34:40 AM
 :) :D ;D

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:35:02 PM
Wondering if there is an update to the C4S availability question. Also, is there any possibility that the impedance switch kit will re-appear? I find that comes in handy on my S.E.X. 2.1. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:40:23 AM
The photo shoot and build for the S3X C4S has happened, but only Josh will have some clarity on when the manual will be finished.

While the impedance switch kit was a neat feature for the original SEX amp, we ultimately found that a lot of users of incredibly high efficiency headphones were setting the impedance switches for the highest possible impedance, which offered the highest noise floor, too much power, and an overly sensitive amplifier.  We have since been more specific in the manual about which impedances we recommend and why.  There are so few instances where the 16 or 32 Ohm outputs are useful that offering an expensive solution for accessing them didn't seem appealing.   

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 03:53:02 PM
The photo shoot and build for the S3X C4S has happened, but only Josh will have some clarity on when the manual will be finished.

While the impedance switch kit was a neat feature for the original SEX amp, we ultimately found that a lot of users of incredibly high efficiency headphones were setting the impedance switches for the highest possible impedance, which offered the highest noise floor, too much power, and an overly sensitive amplifier.  We have since been more specific in the manual about which impedances we recommend and why.  There are so few instances where the 16 or 32 Ohm outputs are useful that offering an expensive solution for accessing them didn't seem appealing.

I take that as a NO for the impedance switch. :( I understand what you are saying but I found the 4 and 8 and 16 ohm switch positions were very useful when eXperimenting with different speaker types. I'll fabricate something of my own if you no longer feel the need to support such eXperimentation, Thanks.

P.S. I look forward to the C4S upgrade.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 04:19:32 PM
It's not that we don't feel the need to support experimentation. It's that we found not enough of our customers want to do that type of experimentation. When we order PC boards we have to order 100 or more to get affordable pricing. If only two or three people want the boards we simply can't justify having them made.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:53 PM
It's not that we don't feel the need to support experimentation. It's that we found not enough of our customers want to do that type of experimentation. When we order PC boards we have to order 100 or more to get affordable pricing. If only two or three people want the boards we simply can't justify having them made.

I understand. Thanks.

Offline moriez

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:30:09 PM

Forgive my impatience  :-[

News on this?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 04:59:50 AM
We have been working through a huge amount of orders lately. When that is caught up Josh will be able to schedule some time for manual writing. It's probably going to be a few weeks yet.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 06:27:12 AM
Awesome can't wait!

Mainline arrived yesterday, and I'm definitely looking forward to it! Thanks Doc and team :)

Offline JeffYoung

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:50 AM
Hi Doc B.,

Any chance of seeing this soon?  I've got a S.E.X. or order, with somewhat expensive shipping to Ireland, and I just thought I'd get it thrown in the box if available.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 12:50:05 PM
Probably July.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline JeffYoung

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 01:10:49 PM