Speaker Pairing for Paramount Monoblocks

csfb13 · 3046

Offline csfb13

on: April 13, 2013, 03:56:52 PM
Greetings,

I am new to the forum and DIY audio but fortunately not HiFi or electronics construction.  After many positive auditions at dealers throughout the West, I've finally decided to make the transition to tubes.  I have also decided on making the Bottlehead Paramount monoblocks, the foundation of my new system.

I apologize for the (intentionally) vague question, but I was hoping that one or more of you could comment on reasonably priced (< $1500/pair) speaker pairings for the Paramount.  Certainly tastes, tolerances and tonal preferences vary widely, and I understand that there is no single or finite number of "ideal" setups, but I was hoping for some experienced advice on speakers that would mate lovingly with the Paramounts. 

The quantity of information out there is wonderful but daunting at the same time -- this research has kept me busy during my free time!  Any information, no matter how brief, from which to focus my efforts would be greatly appreciated.

Again, apologies for the vague and clearly naive question, particularly considering it's been touched upon is some form or another in much earlier threads.

cp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:30:00 AM
CP,

Welcome to the Bottlehead community.  You will find it a friendly group with lots of experience and ideas.

It looks like I will be the first to suggest the Blumenstein Orca/Subs.  Way under your budget.  I replaced $1200 (Triangle Zerius) speakers with them.  It was a no brainer once I heard them.

I guess we need to know what your leanings are.  Do you like macro/micro dynamics, imaging/soundstage, detail, tonal purity, tonal accuracy?  I'm an admitted soundstage junkie and the Orcas were the thing for me.  But you are probably different.

What are your listening preferences?  What music do you listen to and how loud do you listen?  With the Paramounts you will want something 92dBW sensitive or higher if your room is large. 

Again, welcome.  There will be lots of responses, we all seem to like to type.

Offline csfb13

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:38 PM
Thank you for the reply, Grainger!

Soundstage/imaging would have to be my top priority.  Not unlike most of the readers present, my listening preferences vary: live classic rock, jazz vinyl, chamber music, modern rock, etc.  My existing system plays to a standard-sized, conventionally rectangular living room (appx 17' x 24').  We like entertaining so volume helps, but we'd also like to fill the room with the kind of accurate, detailed and spirited reproduction that our current system sorely lacks.

Thank you very much for the advice on the Blumenstein's.  I was investigating the Orcas some months back but I'll return to their site with renewed interest!

cp

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:43 PM
My take has for a long time been, that to be loud enough without loss of clean power, the speaker-amplifier should be able to achieve 102dB per channel. Paramount's 8 watts is 9dB re: 1 watt, so speakers of 93dB sensitivity would be called for. This is a conservative number, based on three independent sources, so it's not just  my opinion.

1) an average of Stereophile's recommended minimum power for various speakers, over several years

2) The average listening level and headroom used in professional recording, mixing, and mastering studios

3) The THX home theater specifications

However, there are substantial adjustments depending on your situation. The following will reduce the needed efficiency:

1) a small room,

2) a very live room

3) no interest in loud music - i.e. not a symphonic music fan, no need for hard rock at "realistic" levels, etc.  (Note: Rock at concert levels need another 10dB at least and will permanently damage your hearing, eventually. End of rant.)

4) A personal preference for music at levels well below what "most audiophiles, most of the time" prefer.

5) Music that is heavily compressed - it has little headroom; pop songs that play on the radio a lot are good examples.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:02 PM
cp,

There are two threads you should check out here.  The Blumenstein thread covers Orcas with many of the Bottlehead amps.  Clark and Molly really liked what the Paramounts brought to the table after listening to Paramours/Stereomour for quite a while.

Then there is the one that asks "How Loud Do You Listen?"  most of us don't enter the 90dB area.  That is a range where OSHA requires hearing protection.

If you swap Bluegrass for Chamber Music, you and I have the same listening tastes.  I have a 23' X 13' X 8' room.  It is all enclosed except for the door behind the speakers on the side wall where I enter.  the Orcas get louder than I ever want to listen.  I am current supplementing their bass with an old Boston Acoustics sub.  But everything from about 100 Hz up is from a single driver on both sides.  It is incredibly coherent!  Clark has used two of my quotes on his site.  I continue to be amazed by these tiny speakers!

Offline Paully

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:38:21 AM
This question gets bantered around a good bit and often it seems to come down to the usual suspects such as Altec Valencia and Model 19 (the one I use now).  Klipsch is another option such as Cornwalls, Chorus II, Klipschorns but at your price point personally I would spring for the Altecs.  Blumenstein Orcas are a newer entrant but well respected around here.  I heard Grainger's and they were superb.  A subwoofer is a must.  But you can go over the the High Efficiency forum on AA and do a search for speakers, and you will find lists of options that people have put together and it seems like we have put together that sort of list here or on the old forum.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=bottlehead&n=124745&highlight=Klipsch+chorus+II+paully

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=bottlehead&n=127421&highlight=speaker+paully&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3F