DIY Speakers + Subwoofer and AMP?

kekoukela · 6798

Offline kekoukela

on: May 07, 2015, 09:28:00 PM
Hi all,
I was thinking about building a pair of speakers but would like to have a subwoofer in the mix as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Something like this:
http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706
and a subwoofer. But I'm a little confused as to how I would hook it up. Each speaker has a positive and negative terminal, does that mean that the negative is the ground and the positive is the sound to the left/right side? and If i were to add a subwoofer into the mix would that mean I would have to hook it up with the speakers or just connect each speaker and the subwoofer to an amp to drive it? Basically I'm looking for a nice home audio sound for music and watching movies

Also, which amp would pair well with this?

Sorry if this is a noob question. Im just starting out :D

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:51:12 PM
Here is an idea for a diy sub: http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Subwoofer.html

I have built two of them and they are awesome: https://zimmer64.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/bucket-sub/

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:21:32 PM
Ciao Michael,
would you mind share your experience, and maybe some construction pics?  ;D
Whit which speacker are you using them?

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:25:12 PM
Ciao Bonzo,

I do not have more pictures of my build. Just follow the first link in my post. There is a full description of all components.

I use them with my current open baffle speakers.

Michael
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:27:59 PM by Zimmer64 »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Bonzo

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 04:36:39 AM
@Michael: I've enjoyed your blog, nice journey you're doing in hifi!  :)

@kekoukela: What about the "Simplicissima" fullrange project? Google it, it seems quite easy to build and good sounding, and you can add Michael's subwoofer too!

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline kekoukela

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 03:47:32 PM
WHoa, this are all great advices! Thanks guys! HmmMm I'm going to do more research before deciding on what to do, but if I add Michael's subwoofer, How do I connect it to the two speakers and an amp? I think that's the part that is really confusing me right now

Offline sl-15

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
hi michael, great build, i like the white and was thinking that it will be hard to find completely white buckets with no logo on it. how do you integrate the subs into your system? do you need an extra/ external crossover? thanks, stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Bonzo

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 08:21:09 PM
WHoa, this are all great advices! Thanks guys! HmmMm I'm going to do more research before deciding on what to do, but if I add Michael's subwoofer, How do I connect it to the two speakers and an amp? I think that's the part that is really confusing me right now

You need a dedicated subwoofer amplifier with speaker level input.
Something very powerful, maybe a cheap class D power amp with a low pass filter can do the job.

With a speaker level input you can still use your main amp to control everything (take a look at the blumenstein subwoofer to figure out how their powered sub works).

Ciao

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 09:58:34 PM
Hi,

Thank you all for your kind comments. I use the bucket subs with my Open Baffle speakers. The setup is as follows:
Preamp
Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 digital 3-way crossover
Gainclone (diy) to drive Betsy Fullrange
Chipamp (diy) to drive the Eminence Alpha 15
Behringer INuke NU3000 DSP to drive the diy bucket subs
Crossover points are 45 an 400 all LR 4th order

Re color of the buckets: I was lucky to find a local manufacturer that offers the 20 liter (approx. 5 gallons) buckets in any RAL color at ca. CHF 2,60 each (approx USD 3). Shipping costs were mad though....

Re speaker level input: Check the forum on the Transcendent web page: http://tubehifi.websitetoolbox.com/post/subwoofer-project-6426090
Some builders have padded down the speaker level signal using a series resitor to allow the use of any amp. This is quite useful as the sub does not need EQ.

Hope this helps!

Greetings from Switzerland

Michael
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:32:03 PM by Zimmer64 »

Offline braubeat

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:28:29 AM
this one is supposed to be good. I built a modified version for a friend and it sounds good. a lot of work though.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T18.html

michael

4krow

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 02:23:08 PM
 I didn't build a sub with a 5 gallon bucket, but the idea did serve a purpose when I decided to make quick speaker cabinets for my shop. It's one of those head shakers. Shouldn't sound as good as it does.

Offline kekoukela

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 03:05:38 PM
You need a dedicated subwoofer amplifier with speaker level input.
Something very powerful, maybe a cheap class D power amp with a low pass filter can do the job.

With a speaker level input you can still use your main amp to control everything (take a look at the blumenstein subwoofer to figure out how their powered sub works).

Ciao

Thank you so much!!!! The PDF really helped me visualize how to set it up!!!

Offline sl-15

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
great thanks, agreed, the pdf is great, now i get it too.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa