Great S3X!

ryan_a · 921

Offline ryan_a

on: August 21, 2017, 07:56:53 AM
Newbie here, and I'm preaching to the choir, but I just finished building the kit last night and right away this is a huge step up from my 1980s Hitachi integrated amp with headphone out. With my HD600s the resolution is better, the soundstage is better. I'm hearing more details yet the sound is more musical than before. Now I understand what I've been reading about here over the last few months. Even my mediocre bookshelf speakers sound better in my apartment, however now I am looking to find an upgrade worthy of this amp.

Well I am hearing erratic background noise but I'm 99% sure it's from my PC audio out since the amp is dead quiet when the PC goes to sleep... It doesn't have a toslink output. Would you guys recommend getting a sound card with toslink out and a DAC? Should I try DAC via USB(http://) first?

Thanks for the excellent kit and instructions. I'm amazed at the minds that designed it. Also thanks to Joshua Harris who patiently helped me when I missed the step to install the fuse. Very satisfied customer here.

-Ryan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:56 AM
Hello Ryan,

Thank you so much for the kind words.

To break the computer noise, toslink is always what we recommend. If a toslink sound card isn't a stretch, give it a shot.

Another item you can look for is a USB DAC with its own power supply (usually a wall wart). I would suggest buying such a DAC that also has a toslink jack so if the wall wart doesn't remove the USB noise, you can just swap over to toslink.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man