Need Help for Cartridge for SME 3009 tonearm

docbob52 · 5081

Offline docbob52

on: August 06, 2014, 02:40:47 PM
I need advise for a new cartridge for my SME 3009 improved series II tonearm on a Garrard 301.  It is a low mass arm at 6.5 g. I have a Grado Prestige on it now and it sounds good but not great. My vintage NOS London Decca Blue is not doing it for me either.  i would like to spend about $400 but I will go up to $800 if that would be much better.  Either a MM or MC would be ok with me. 

Please give me your advice.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:41:19 AM
I used to sell that arm when it was new.  We used the London Decca (Purple) cartridge with good success.  We also used the Shure V15 III and the Ortofon SP12.  Those are probably not available today.  But I'm certain that others will chime in with good suggestions.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:03:16 AM
If your willing to consider a low output MC I'd suggest the Denon 301MKII, 

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline MisterM

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:52:37 AM
I have the same arm on my restored TD-124 and my favorite cart is a Soundsmith repaired/modified Grado Statement Reference (0.5mv). My very close second is an Ortofon 2M Black (5mv) which is closer to your price range. The Grado originally was a good cart but not great until the cantilever mysteriously broke off, the Soundsmith replacement ruby cantilever and stylus transformed it into a beautiful sounding cart. To my ears the 2M Black sounds better than the stock Grado SR at half the price. Too bad that there is no way to audition several different carts with your TT/Tonearm.

Frank Horvatich

Offline docbob52

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:56:26 AM
I read lots of good reviews on the ortofon 2m black. Do you think this would mate with SME series II improved tonearm?

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline MisterM

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:13:33 PM
I have been using the 2M Black with my SME SII imp. have been pleased and have noticed no ill effects. I have tried several carts with this arm (Denon, Clearaudio, Benz, several Audio Technica) and much prefer the Soundsmith repaired/modded Grado Statement Reference but the 2M Black is a close second.

Frank Horvatich