This thing is the Schiit

Maxwell_E · 5088

Offline Maxwell_E

on: February 15, 2013, 01:25:02 PM
I received my tax return last week and like any sane human I bought something on a lark, the Modi DAC from Schiit Audio. Having been using my PC soundcard forever I am really just blown away how much better it sounds. The main difference to me is just how quiet this thing is. All the background noise of the digital doohickey's is gone at all but the highest volumes with my headphones on. I need to spend more time with it to figure out just how good it is but I am very impressed as of now. I was looking a long time for a super-cheap but well-respected DAC so this is the end (or beginning?) of a great journey. Plus the company's name has some great pun potential.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:04 PM
Yep it is the Schiit! I've got the Gungnir. Very mature and high end sound. I hate to admit it, but the Quickie is now retired from main system duties because of the Gungnir. What it did help me realize, though, is how the Quickie does its magic. It helped to crystallize what the Quickie 'does' for the sound. It was only in the context of how digital done right can leap frog to a higher status. (Ok specifics - one thing I definitely noticed with the Gungnir running direct to the power amp (using Transporter as preamp) is that my MMG's all of a sudden got a 'super tweeter').

peace - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44:43 AM
Eric, how does the sound compare to your Transporter?

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:45:54 PM
Sorry Arron, I must have missed this one somehow.

Computers these days! (Thats right blame it on the computer, when you know its human error). Anyway - I have had quite some time now to flesh out the differences between the Transporter and the real Schiit (cant help it). The Gungnir is a very clear upgrade, but its a bit complicated. Its hard to assign credit here. First of all, the digital inputs on the Transporter seem to be non functional. I've tried everything, and I know Logitech (Squeezbox) Media Server like the back of my hand. Fantastic piece of software by the way. Flexible beyond imagination.

What the Schiit does, is produce a very open non-irritating sound, with depth and timber. Its interesting that both DAC's use the AK43XX. The Schiit uses newer ones of course and wires them balanced (two of them). The same family if you will. Schiit goes the extra mile and avoids op amps, and uses a very clean power supply. With that said, the DAC sounds better with the Quickie in the circuit, vs running the DAC direct via balanced outputs. Kudos to the Quickie.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 12:03:00 PM
Now that I have my office set up with my stereomour, etc, i would like to get a good, yet inexpensive, DAC, to hookup between my mac and the amp.  Do you still like your Modi?  I'm thinking $100 is about as cheap as one could find, for something that seems to have a good reputation for sound......

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 05:06:05 PM
I really do like the Modi. I haven't been able to test any other DAC's in my setup but I'm still very pleased with it's ability to filter computer noise. With the PC motherboard 1/8" output I was getting some considerable noise, especially when I moved the mouse. That's all gone now and I couldn't be happier.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:45 PM
Yep - I just got the new, and improved, USB converter installed in my Gungnir. Definately better than the already good SPDIF inputs.

Eric