General Category > Technical topics

Can we expect 300B/2A3 Bottlehead headphone amp someday?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Paul Birkeland:
Yeah, doing it on the chassis plate then means we have an extra chassis plate, kit assembly manual, and upgrade manuals.  If we do this for the Kaiju and the Stereomnour, that's five new manuals and two chassis plates added to the inventory that would be very easy to mix up with the normal versions and send people on accident.  We would also need to stock another attenuator overlay for the Stereomour. 

Here's an example of an adapter cable that accomplishes the same goal:
https://www.zynsonix.com/Speaker-Output-to-Headphone-Balanced-Adapter_p_16.html

For people who want a factory built kit, I can customize stuff like this into a custom enclosure too.

ipetruk:
Yeah, I guess this covers the use case of very power-hungry headphones - Susvara.

But those high end amps I've mentioned above are using for 300B/2A3 for normal headphones. These tube are there not for power, but for some specific sound signatures, which is considered very "high end". I personally don't any gear with those tubes, I am only noticing that those tube are often seen in very high end amps. So it is just marketing, e.g. "This tube costs like a car, so... so... it must sound good for everything, including headphones"?

Use for speakers on another hand is well justified, that's clear

ipetruk:
Also on a more general question, do you see any benefit of 300b/2A3 for headphone amps vs say 6C45pi?

Say, if you did provide the right shunt power regulator for 300b/2A3 amp too.

ipetruk:

--- Quote ---The Mainline definitely is a SET headphone amp.
--- End quote ---

I am still processing this answer. It is triode based, true. So it is a "Single Ended Triode" amp with... balanced output? This terminology is confusing

Paul Joppa:
Balanced is not push-pull; they are completely different concepts. Single ended and push pull are internal circuit topologies; balanced lines are a interconnect protocol. In the case of Mainline, the output transformer connects the single-ended amplifier circuit to the balanced-line interconnect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version