extra holes on Active Load PC Board?

kopprasch · 1397

Offline kopprasch

on: March 17, 2013, 10:03:03 AM
Hi all. Just started assembling the Active Load PC Board in my Stereomour kit. My board differs from the picture in the instructions in that there are 2 extra holes on the "R2" spots on my board (where the 300K ohm 3 Watt resistors go). There are no holes on the board in the picture and as far as I can tell no instructions on what should be soldered there. Any thoughts? I know next to nothing about circuits, but it sure looks like something should be soldered there. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks,
Mike

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:22:34 AM
Bottlehead has gone through several iterations of the "universal" PC board, as I call it.  It has two channels.  Either can be a voltage regulator, C4S or a soft start circuit. 

The manual probably has a picture of an earlier iteration of the board than is in use today.  As long as it has an A side and a B side it will work.  What matters is the component positions.  For instance there is an R1 and R2 that are called out in the assembly.  Those go in the appropriate A or B side R1 and R2 positions.

Offline kopprasch

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:28:15 AM
OK, good to know. Thanks for such a quick reply to my first ever post!
Mike

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:32:58 PM
The newest boards actually have a version number on them. Look around for a possible "pink sheet" or extra file on the CD-ROM noting the change - though it's possible you just got the newer board before the update was done. We are trying to phase out all the older versions, but it's a bit of a coordination nightmare!

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:12:31 PM
yes, we now supply the V4.4 board in kits that used the earlier version board. They are functionally identical and it was not at all cost effective to stock two boards that were nearly identical when the 4.4 board worked in either situation. Some manuals have already been updated to explain this. Some others may still need a notation mentioning this.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.