Hum problem with my BeePre

elko · 1948

Offline elko

on: May 04, 2016, 11:12:47 PM
Hello fellow Bottleheads,

I would like to introduce myself on this forum with my BeePre. I finished the preamp today with installing the BeeQuiet attenuator. The BeePre played for some hours the last days with standard potentiometers for balance and volume i really liked it already.

My signal comes from a DIY DDDAC1794 DAC and runs from the BeePre into a LM3875 chipamp. My speakers are selfbuild Ellam-flex threeways designed by Troels Gravesen.

At first i attached the BeePre to my power amp without modifications. The sensitivty from the chipamp is very low and the 300b's where singing on there own, a really spooky sound. When i heard this i thought my speakers where going to explode so i turned of my poweramp. After some warming up the BeePre became 'stable' and the singing was gone. There was still some hum and lots of microphonics. Time for some music to see of the BeePre was working like it should.

The music played wonderfull (aside from the hum and microphonics) i could imediatly here why so many people are pleased with this amp.

Time to find out where the hum comes from. First i searched for the problem within the BeePre. I did some resoldering and measring to asure everything was solderd properly. After all joints are checked there is still a hum present. The weirdest is that it its always present in in form with low amplitude and by times it gets really loud. The frequency of the loud hum is exactly 50Hz and only present in the left channel. I checked all my joints again and again but this weird coming and going of hum stays present. It always stays in both speakers and gets loud and kinda different form only in the left channeld.

Yesterday i lowerd the sensitivty from my chipamp with some different resitor values. It helped a bit for volume control (with standard potentiometer) and did a good job on the 'always present' hum and microphonics. I could listen for a while to my collection and really enjoyed my new amp. Until a certain moment the loud hum sneaks back into my left channel. Not as loud as first but still noticable behind the music. I found something on this forum about the same kind of problem (only in both channels) with fellow BeePre owners also from the Netherlands and it had something to do with the voltage from the wall sockets. As the voltage drops the hum gets present.

I started measring and found out the the hum was gone by 233,6 (or something) volts ans gets louder when the voltage drops. 232v is very noticable and under 230v it's unbearable.

The readings from the other Dutch guys where lower but i guess this has something to do with my high sensitive poweramp. This morning i lowerd the gain and sensitivty even more and installed the BeeQuiet to get some precise control on volume. As i wanted to test my new modification i hooked everything up to hear that terrible buzzy hum again. After measruing the linepower again i noticed that the amplitude of the hum lowerd (compared to same voltages as yesterday), probably because i lowerd the sensitivity some more.

I owned a Crack and recognize the hum from the first few seconds after the crack is turned on. Something like the transformer is working to get the tubes on temprature. The sound is the same as the soft mechanical hum from the transformer working on 50Hz with your ear close to the amplifier.

I hope someone knows a solution. I searched already for voltage stabilizers, but this solution is way to expensive. One thing that might be noticed is that non of my wallsockets are grounded (only the ones in bathroom and kitchen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:41:08 AM by elko »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:53:42 AM
The last sentence here is the only one that matters. Fix your ground for noise and safety.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:55:59 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline elko

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:28:09 AM
Hello again fellow bottleheads,

Thank you for your reaction and concern. Today i tried my beepre on a grounded wallsocket and it didn't change a thing. The buzz is still frequent in my left channel and it comes and goes. I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Sometimes i can listen for serveral hours without any buzzing and the beepre is sounding really great. Again and again i am amazed with the sound. Sometimes the hum sneaks in and just peaks around for a few seconds. And sometimes it's just banging on for hours louder than it ever sounded before.

I did some carefull poking around with the amplifier on and humming. Maybe it's just a coincidence but poking on the c4s board on the left channel seems to have influence on the sound. One time it stopped humming abruptly when touching one of the leds. And another time just moving the board a bit helped imediatly. Touching one of the transistors helped one time to. Thinking i was on my way with solving the problem i did some resoldering on those joints. After a while i did hear the buzz again and touching and whobbeling didn't helped a bit.

I don't know what to do next. I really want to listen to my music without being concerned about that annoying buzz that comes and goes with the fluctuation of the line voltage. Wich is, in my opinion, not the source (because its only in one channel) but has some clear influence on the volume ( reading about more people with linevoltage and buzz problems). When the buzz isn't present from my listening position it is still can be heared with my ear close to the speaker.

I hope someone can help me out a bit, really looking forward for a solution!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:44:05 AM by elko »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:55:18 AM
Buzz on one channel can just be a loose 220uF/250V capacitor.  If poking at the C4S board changes the noise dramatically, there is a 220uF/250V cap right under that board that may be a bit loose.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline crgolfer

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:16:42 AM
I had a similar problem and determined that the hum was caused by my plasma tv.  There was a hum in one channel which would start up and get louder when the tv was on for some time.  I solved the hum by plugging the tv into a different outlet.

Offline elko

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 12:28:22 AM
I did some resoldering on the 220uF/250v caps and it didn't affect the hum. Carefully wiggling the cap doesn't seems to change the the problem either. Wiggling around further down the powerline closer to the transformer seems to affect the hum. It doesn't stop though. I am suspecting myself from a placebo cure since diffirences in the linevoltage affect the hum the most. And that when i rumble around under the hood there is some changes in line voltage simultanously.

I find this problem really hard to diagnose. Already changed around some wall sockets before. And i don't recall it made a diffirence. I live in a small home in a apartment-block and i think everything is connected within the wall-wiring. I notice when the oven ( far away grounded socket in a different group i suppose) is heating the hum plays simultanously with the turning on from the heater (or fan or something). Except the oven is more off than on. This can't be the source all the time. And such a 'heavy' device can ofcourse make the linevoltage fluctuate a bit, wich make the hum louder.

But when i think about the hum is only (and always with my ears close) present in one channel, it must be something wrong I did within the amplifier. When the volume from the hum gets really loud, my subwoofer hums along to.

Going to experiment with plugging out all my suspected devices like the tv, the modem and others of such sort and hope i find out more.

Offline elko

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:27:13 AM
I have removed all other devices in my home from the power network with negative results  :-\ Today i resoldered all the suspicious joints (wich are almost all on left channel side) and that didn't matter either. I just made a small video with the hum at one of its loudest moments so you guys can have a listen.

Offline elko

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:50:10 AM
Hello guys,

Happy new year to you all.

I still haven't found the source from my hum. Did hopeless again a complete check and resoldering on the left channel, without results.

Until this moment i saved up some money for a powerline conditioner from Furman (AC-210 E). I'll let you know if cleaning up the powerline solves the problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:55:25 AM by elko »