Doc B. · 7031

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline badman

Well, it's a great little amp and holds it's head up high against the very competent fleapower competitors I have had through here.  Anything else you wish to send along for review, let me know and we'll work out details. 

Jeff

Offline dstrimbu

Hey Doc,

Has Jeff heard the Crack yet?  :-)

-Don

Offline rbruinsma

• Go with the flow....
    • Personal Blog
Nice review, hope to finish my SEX amp soon ;)

Offline badman

Hey Doc,

Has Jeff heard the Crack yet?  :-)

-Don

I haven't heard the Crack, nor the Quickie, nor the phono products.  I have heard FPIII, Paramounts, SEX, and a lot of the legacy products, even a couple pair of straight 8s.

Offline JC

If you get the chance to review the Crack, badman, I hope you'll do so both with and without the Speedball upgrade, and give your impressions of the differences.  Nice writing, btw!

Jim C.

Offline badman

If you get the chance to review the Crack, badman, I hope you'll do so both with and without the Speedball upgrade, and give your impressions of the differences.  Nice writing, btw!

That's not terribly likely.  While it seems like a fine product, I'm not much of a headphone guy.  I recognize their merits but prefer good 'ole speakers... like these I'm currently using. 

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg841.imageshack.us%2Fimg841%2F5450%2Fimg0528ya.jpg&hash=6df67502490e6a02a239beeba53848aeedc0f7bf)

Offline Grainger49

Looks like an old Heil AMT with plastic ears!  Tell us more about the ears, I know a lot about the AMT.

Offline badman

They're not plastic, but white-painted wood.  The profile is pretty simple, with straight walls and a termination roundover.  My impetus was looking at the large amount of ripple in the off-axis response of these, along with the 2k dip.  I figured the 2k dip and 1k peak is probably related to the dipole action, and some of the off-axis ripple from mouth diffraction (the basic structure of these is basically a horn).  This symmetrical horn-loading will hopefully allow me quite a bit more 1k-4k output, but I'm working with the crossover still- there's an interesting anomaly in that my capacitor and the heil are not adding impedances- the heil at 6 ohms with the (current, testphase) capacitor being 8 @ 1kHz, is summing to... 10?!?!?

My more active project thread is over in the planars and exotics forum at diyaudio.com and will probably be an Enjoy The Music article eventually too, so keep an eye on those two if you want to see how this monster (the horn is 22" wide) shapes up longer-term.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
... there's an interesting anomaly in that my capacitor and the heil are not adding impedances- the heil at 6 ohms with the (current, testphase) capacitor being 8 @ 1kHz, is summing to... 10?!?!?
Exactly right. The capacitor impedance is a reactance, 90 degrees out of phase with the resistance. They add like a right triangle - the hypotenuse (total impedance magnitude) is the square root of the sum of the sides squared. The phase angle of the resulting impedance is 53 degrees - the angle whose tangent is 8/6.

Paul Joppa

Offline badman

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:35 AM
Duh, brainfart.  Thanks for the corrective action Paul.