Grounding post

azrockitman · 1994

Offline azrockitman

on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:02 AM
My grounding post snapped in half with almost no pressure when I was tightening it for installation.  So I'm waiting on a replacement.  But in the meantime, I'm wondering if there are any other solutions that anyone has customized?

Primarily, I wonder if anyone has created an alternate grounding post connection point underneath the face plate instead of the current top mounted design? 

Specifically, I'm tempted to replace the broken grounding post with only a screwhead exposed on top, and an "as designed" original twin nut and solder tab design underneath and I would complete the bottom side ground wire installation and soldering instructions to that point as planned in the manual.  Then I would solder a new 12" wire underneath to the new grounding screw solder tab and attach a "snap" connector to the free end of the new grounding wire.  Then I would snip the plain spade connector from my turntable grounding wire and replace it with the male or female companion to the snap connector on the permanent end.

Does anyone see a flaw in this idea?  is a "snap" connector that's introduced in the middle of a grounding wire configuration going to cause any grounding issues?

Thanks for any comment or better ideas.  Since the supplied post has snapped, it's caused me to consider alternate ideas that would not have a grounding post connector top front and center on the EROS.  Thanks!

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline vetmed

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:34:58 AM
I don't see any issue as long as you have good solid connections. I have seen some TT ground wires terminated with an alligator clip which seemed to work just fine and is probably just as good a contact as what you are proposing. Personally its not something I would try since I own and use several tables; would have to change all the ground connections ;)

Regards
      Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline azrockitman

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:14:13 PM
Thanks Robert.  I picked up some bullet splice plugs and I'm going to use that for my "quick connect" for the ground.  As you say, if a wire terminating in an alligator clip creates ground, these sure should do the trick.  Thanks!

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's