Sparkly E188cc

vetmed · 1664

Offline vetmed

on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:32 PM
I have a good idea what happened but I will ask anyway... On powerup this evening I was treated to quite the little fireworks display inside the E188cc bottle, white and blue flashes for a few seconds until I shut it down. A replacement Russian 6n23p worked perfectly and after several hours of playtime there seems to be no lasting ill effects :o I've never noticed this before so it is possible that I've simply not noticed it until now ??? I think this type of tube doesn't like the DC coupling :o And not many hours on it and pretty pricey to boot. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear.

Regards to all
 PS site looks great ;D

Robert Lees

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
Some of the crustier 6922's in my stash have exhibited this behavior at times in the Eros and other similar circuits, but I have yet to have any of my "nicer" tubes behave like this.

If the tube in question is new, you might want to chat with the vendor a little bit. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline vetmed

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:46:25 AM
Well its not new but was sold as new unmarked old military stock. Judging by the construction, and going on what little I know about such things, it appears to be Mullard construction, with 4 seams at the top. Between 200 and 300 hours use at most. I bought 2 at the time, the other remains unused. Guess I will try the online vendor and see what he has to say. Thanks

Robert Lees

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:51:03 PM
I've had Mullards do this without any ill effect. There was a thead in the tube asylum a while back with others with the same experience.

Aaron Johnson

Offline vetmed

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:50:55 PM
Thanks Aaron, I'll have a look at that discussion 8)

Cheers

Robert Lees