IERC Tube Shields without Bases

Art Andrews · 83

Offline Art Andrews

on: May 06, 2024, 01:42:56 PM
I recently purchased an unfinished Mainline kit from a friend. It has most components but does not have the 9-pin shields/shield bases (it does have the 9-pin connectors) for the two large tubes. In researching these, several people mentioned IERC tube shields, and even Doc B. mentioned them.

Since I don't have the shields with the kit, are the IERCs a good alternative?

I see sets on eBay, but there are no bases, and my searches have turned up no bases.

I saw a post (here: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=10405) in which Doc B. says, "If a shield isn't grounded, it's not shielding."

Does that mean IERC shields, as I am finding them, without bases, shouldn't be used?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 05:22:41 AM
The IERC shields fit over the same bayonet base as the standard shields that come with the kit. You might be able to find someone selling only the standard bayonet bases. I don't have any suggestions for a seller but I imagine a search will turn up someone. I have a ton of IERC shields of different sizes but no bases. In fact I would love to sell the whole pile to someone who might want to sell them on eBay. I used to make up sets of them for Collins R-390A receivers and get $70 a throw. But I don't really have the time or inclination anymore.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Art Andrews

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 06:50:35 AM
Thanks, Doc. Ordered both!